Did I lose my chook to snake bite?

Enj

Songster
Jan 15, 2018
locking up my chooks I noticed one missing, found it behind our water tank just sitting reluctant to move. My partner managed to get it out and could tell it wasn’t right, fairly limp. I sat with it for a while and looked over, first thing I noticed was it didn’t move legs. I pinched them and no reaction. Shortly after, vomiting. Then it had a seizure and died. So so sad. Was only three months old and I don’t know if it was a girl or a boy. What do you all think it could of been? Couldn’t find any puncture marks.

Should note it could keep its head up and could shift to make itself more comfortable but legs definitely were gone

Your best option for finding out for sure what happened is a necropsy. In cases like this a professional one that has lab work to check for virus's and bacteria is best. If you post your location, generally, some options may be able to be suggested to you. I'll post some lists below of resources if you are in the US. Marek's disease comes to mind, it is common for leg paralysis, but there are other possibilities. So sorry for your loss. :hugs
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Thank you, have already buried it and I had nightmares last night that my whole flock died! I’m in Australia, and we are in the middle of a heatwave.... I was thinking heat stress but that can’t cause paralysis can it?

Severe heat stress can cause seizures/convulsions, but not usually paralysis. If your birds are having issues with the heat then you will see panting, holding wings out from the body, and lots of laying around. There are vitamin deficiencies that can cause neuromuscular symptoms, and various diseases. It's hard to know for sure, birds hide illness well and many things can present with similar symptoms, so often times a suspicion can only be confirmed with a necropsy. Hopefully it will be a single event and your other birds will be fine. If another becomes ill however, it would be a good idea to see if you have any options where you are to have a necropsy done so you know what you are dealing with.
There are some things you can do to help them cope with the heat:
https://www.communitychickens.com/about-heat-stress-and-keeping-your-flock-cooled-down/

Thank you , I spoke to my vet as well and they think snake bite. Poor thing I keep replaying it in my mind. I’m glad I was there to comfort it though

I know you have a lot more venomous critters in Australia than we do here. There are lots of sites that have suggestions on snake proofing chicken coops if you want to go that route. To keep all snakes out you have to fence with 1/4 inch hardware cloth (baby snakes can go right through 1/2 inch), and it has to be sloped outward at an angle to prevent climbing. If they are going to free range then it's a risk that you will have to accept I suppose. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Yeah unfortunately they were having a day out free ranging, as it's hot I let them out every second day to find a shady spot to chill out as it gets too hot in the coop. It's a risk and one I lost but I would of lost more in the heat! Several days reaching 40 degrees, yuck!

enhanced-buzz-5040-1385000223-15.jpg

Back
Top Bottom