Did I make a big mistake?

Pequena Bandada

Small Flock
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
I have four 18 week old pullets; we got them when they were 12 weeks old from a local breeder. She gave me a 50 lb bag of crumbles when I bought the chickens, and I assumed that it was age appropriate food. I wrote down the details on the bag before throwing it out, and just looked at my notes this morning. I realized that I've been feeding layer crumbles to my girls rather than grower. None of them are laying eggs yet, so do I need to switch to grower until they do? I hate to buy a 50 lb bag if they'll only need it for a few weeks, but don't want to hurt their development if there are nutrients they're missing by eating layer food too early.

Thanks!

I just use all-purpose and feed table scraps and scraps of veggies from our farm that have works or are bolting or whatever...I have oyster shell available in the coop. I don't htink it's too big of a deal just feed them grower or all purpose now until they start laying their eggs.

MY recommendation is to buy a grower/finisher feed, if you're a Purina customer, then get FlockRaiser, and supplement it with FREE CHOICE crushed oyster shell. Do NOT add it to their feed. Put it out in a dish - I use an empty tuna can nailed to an inside coop wall near the feeder. If they need it, they'll take it. If not, they won't bother with it.

I don't feed layer feed any more.

Since they're 18 weeks old, and the average age to begin laying is 20 weeks, I think things will be fine. Don't worry about it, and I'd continue to buy the layer feed now. Just my humble opinion!

Quote:
Yes. I have started some on layer as early as 16 weeks, it should be fine. And it's time to add some oyster shell, since they will be laying soon. I also put oyster shell in a separate container.

I like to use layer pellets, they seem to waste less feed that way. If you want to switch, do it gradually by mixing it in with the crumbles.

Some folks never feed layer, just Flock Raiser or grower feed and there's nothing wrong with that. Just make sure the oyster shell is available.

Quote:
Yes. I have started some on layer as early as 16 weeks, it should be fine. And it's time to add some oyster shell, since they will be laying soon. I also put oyster shell in a separate container.

I like to use layer pellets, they seem to waste less feed that way. If you want to switch, do it gradually by mixing it in with the crumbles.

Some folks never feed layer, just Flock Raiser or grower feed and there's nothing wrong with that. Just make sure the oyster shell is available.

Ranchhand, I also use the pellets......there is hardly any waste with them. I love that!

Back
Top Bottom