Did I make a mistake? Moving chickens around

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThinkingChickens, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Today my younger chicks (9 weeks) free ranged again with the older chickens (24 weeks) and all was good. They've seen each other and free ranged together for the last couple months. So, we got home after dark to find ALL the chickens in one of the coops. I removed the younger girls and put them back in their own coop for the night. The coops are really supposed to be for three to four girls. I'll probably have to move them each evening. Is this a mistake? I kinda thought they'd spread out a few to a coop at bedtime or the younger ones wouldn't be allowed in with the bigger ones.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think you have to build a bigger coop. They have integrated, and want to be with each other.

3. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Man, if they wanna live together and not have tantrums. I say let them be!
    I wish mine would learn to live together in harmony.

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:x2

5. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    I think it's time to build a bigger coop. Chickens naturally stay together and to them, the more the better. It's instinct. If you keep moving them every night they may eventually learn where they should sleep, but it could take a while and get very tiring after a while. I would just build something bigger.

6. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    We just designed an entire run and spent three weekends building it. There are cutouts for each of our Eglus so there's no way I can build a bigger coop. I think my husband would divorce me. LOL I worry about the little ones still because though they went to sleep together there's still some pecking in the yard and a little chasing (no blood, no relentless attacking) so I thought they were too young to fully integrate. Ugh, should have just bought the bigger model instead of the second smaller model. You know what they say about hindsight!

7. PegramPoultryProprietor

PegramPoultryProprietor Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Just be careful there aren't so many together they pile up and squish another. I lost a couple early last year; I should have had a dim light on for a while until they got use to roosting as I do now.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  8. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    Quote:I will definitely be careful! I'll probably leave the coop door open once the run is totally finished and secure. When I'm home, which is most nights, I'll just have to split them three and three. It's a pain, but I can't afford a bigger coop until next year. I guess the first year of chicken ownership is a big learning experience. Hey, at least they were willing to sleep together. That's a big step!

9. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    What kind are they? Or did you say that.

10. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    They are in my signature. I have six different chickens. The three older are a Barred Rock, Jersey Giant and Delaware. The three younger girls are a Australorp, Buff Orpington and RIR. They are all pretty friendly except the Delaware is definitely top chicken!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by