I'm a pet owner as well (cats and dogs at least), so I empathize with your decision and your need to re-home your pet chicken. It may be painful that the lady you placed Dixie with not is not replying to you, but you did the right thing for everyone and you did the best thing for Dixie. That must have been very hard for you, but you've done a very kind, selfless thing. Dixie has a new life now, with a companion her size. You did the right thing, the difficult thing, to give her that new life. I hope you can remember her fondly, and think of her in her new home, trusting that she's happily romping with her new friend.

I have to agree that you did the right thing. I just recently rehomed two of my girls and struggled with the thought for months beforehand. After trying everything I could do, I finally had to accept that my small suburban yard just wouldn't work for my chronic broody hen that would never be able to hatch her own chicks by staying with me, so she and her best friend went to a farm with a rooster, and I hope her dream of being a mom can come true.

I felt so guilty and cried for days, but realize now that things are better for everyone. The new owner did send me a pic a couple days after their move, so maybe there's still a chance you might get an update as well. Either way, your remaining girls will forgive you and settle into a new routine and all will be normal and peaceful again. My remaining flock of 4 took several days to stop calling during the day and I think they may actually be happier now. The 2nd friend I sent away was pretty bossy with one of my younger birds and she's now finally able to roost with everyone else instead of getting bullied off every night.

I think it's definitely much harder on us caretakers, always second guessing our decisions. But chickens are resilient and they adapt. Just keep following your gut and you'll always do the right thing for your flock.

This is part of it, sometimes the decesions are awful.
Iv'e done it, rehomed a girl I popped out of the egg with my own hand.
I was inconsolable, just a mess.
I had to take a deep breath and suck it up, all this wasn't about me.
With that it hit me, I kicked arse as a keeper, no need to second guess a darn thing.
You'll get there, and when you do it wont get any easier but you'll be proud your keeper skills are the best they can be.:)

I have to agree that you did the right thing. I just recently rehomed two of my girls and struggled with the thought for months beforehand. After trying everything I could do, I finally had to accept that my small suburban yard just wouldn't work for my chronic broody hen that would never be able to hatch her own chicks by staying with me, so she and her best friend went to a farm with a rooster, and I hope her dream of being a mom can come true.

I felt so guilty and cried for days, but realize now that things are better for everyone. The new owner did send me a pic a couple days after their move, so maybe there's still a chance you might get an update as well. Either way, your remaining girls will forgive you and settle into a new routine and all will be normal and peaceful again. My remaining flock of 4 took several days to stop calling during the day and I think they may actually be happier now. The 2nd friend I sent away was pretty bossy with one of my younger birds and she's now finally able to roost with everyone else instead of getting bullied off every night.

I think it's definitely much harder on us caretakers, always second guessing our decisions. But chickens are resilient and they adapt. Just keep following your gut and you'll always do the right thing for your flock.

Thank you so much!

This is part of it, sometimes the decesions are awful.
Iv'e done it, rehomed a girl I popped out of the egg with my own hand.
I was inconsolable, just a mess.
I had to take a deep breath and suck it up, all this wasn't about me.
With that it hit me, I kicked arse as a keeper, no need to second guess a darn thing.
You'll get there, and when you do it wont get any easier but you'll be proud your keeper skills are the best they can be.:)

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom