Did I order too many ducks?

Something like this for the pond and coop?

Looks good to me, love the pond too. I would make sure rain and wind cant get inside the coop, you want some ventilation, but when it's in the teens you won't want the wind/rain blowing on them, Also, make sure the coop is low to the ground, ducks can have a hard time getting up steep ramps.

I just saw this A frame style structure while I was doing a google image search for ideas and I LOVE it! Would ducks do in ok in here with a large attached run? I found coyote and bear poop at the top of our property so I know whatever I build needs to protect them from predators. I just don't know how enclosed it needs to be since I keep seeing other people comment on how infrequently their ducks use the coop. I like how this maximizes floor space while minimizing materials. Plus I would love to plant stuff on top.
5eac6eb357ce62f1e05489b06300cbab.jpg

I just saw this A frame style structure while I was doing a google image search for ideas and I LOVE it! Would ducks do in ok in here with a large attached run? I found coyote and bear poop at the top of our property so I know whatever I build needs to protect them from predators. I just don't know how enclosed it needs to be since I keep seeing other people comment on how infrequently their ducks use the coop. I like how this maximizes floor space while minimizing materials. Plus I would love to plant stuff on top. View attachment 2060199
You know, those aren't very practical for humans, especially the traditional alpine shaped ones (but they do shed snow well) on account of so much wasted space. For ducks sharing with humans, though... You may have discovered the perfect duck coop. Tall in the middle for you; short along the edges for the nest boxes (which they may possibly use--you never know.) If you build it, point it away from the prevailing winds. ⛈

I just saw this A frame style structure while I was doing a google image search for ideas and I LOVE it! Would ducks do in ok in here with a large attached run? I found coyote and bear poop at the top of our property so I know whatever I build needs to protect them from predators. I just don't know how enclosed it needs to be since I keep seeing other people comment on how infrequently their ducks use the coop. I like how this maximizes floor space while minimizing materials. Plus I would love to plant stuff on top. View attachment 2060199
I think it looks awesome. Agree with making sure you can get in to clean it. My ducks don't like shelter much except for laying their eggs but I'm in Georgia where it is hot a lot.

Gotta 💗 those duckies! So cute, even grown. I just set 23 eggs. (The PO broke one :rant ) Last time I set 8 and hatched 4 drakes. Very cute. DH named them John, Paul, George & Ringo. We have two left, which cannot be eaten because he loves them. Lost one to a freak accident and the second to a weasel. 👿 First predator loss 😢

Hopefully this time I'll get some ladies. These eggs look much better than the ones I bought last year. High hopes. :fl Eleven Ancona and twelve barnyard mix.

I feed my butched ducks to my dogs. I haven't been brave enough to eat them yet. But the eggs i do like as an egg salad, and i loved brownies with them! yummmm.... now i want brownies and everything is closed due to lock down i will have to aquire brownie mix now!
Duck is a particular favorite of my dogs, if I ever had to cull for something other than sickness, my plan would be to feed to the dogs too.

Ducks do better at foraging (when there's anything to forage, which here, is maybe five months of the year...) otherwise I'm told they eat more than chickens. I have so many birds I have no idea who eats what. They do eat a lot, but you plan to (and you must) harvest most of the males. I understand three ducks to a drake is the usual ratio.

I have only two little Welshie drakes at present, though, and DH loves them so I guess they're staying. I have a quad of American Buff geese and oh what eggs! I am hoping for goslings but little papa hasn't yet figured out how to use his equipment. :idunno

I don't think you overdid it. But then then I did just order a dozen Ancona eggs and a dozen mixed ones. We'll see what hatches out. Shipped eggs can be iffy. My DH is probably gonna feel some kinship to yours, whatever happens. Like you, I will slaughter the extra boys and maybe sell diy duck kits to people newly thinking about food security. I hear baby fluffies are selling out in the feed stores in South Texas as soon as they hit the shelves. Maybe that portends a hot market for small-fry bird addicts like us, too.
I can confirm that ducks do eat more than chickens, but they also seem to lay better, even in winter

So I've never had ducks before. I've had chickens and quail, which I have loved raising, breeding, and hatching, but decided I wanted to try something new on my new piece of land. I was planning to order some (like 7) silver appleyard ducks from Holderreads but when I discovered they are retiring this year I got a little anxious. I was thinking "well what if I discover that I LOVE ducks and want more! I WONT BE ABLE TO GET MORE!", so I ended up ordering 23 ducks. I ordered my 7 silver appleyards and then the rest are from their assortments. When I told my husband, he looked at me a little frantic eyed but held his tongue. I know he thinks I'm going to be in over my head. My goal is to be able to meet my families egg and poultry meat needs with these ducks by hatching as many as I can. Eat the boys, raise out the girls for egg laying, and sell trios of extras on craigslist. I have a little over an acre for them to roam and I plan to put in a pond with a drain attached to a hose so I can drain their pond to water my garden on the other side of their fence (they will have the top portion of a hill to call home so gravity is on my side for that drainage hose). Is this enough space? Will my husband hate me for doing this? Will my neighbors hate me? Will they actually be better meat and egg wise than chickens? My chickens and quail just never felt like enough meat for our family and I would rather butcher 1 duck instead of 2 chickens or 6 quail. I am open to any and all feedback and advice.
I have 7 and they have over an acre of duck pasture. For the most part they are doing reasonably well but there are some areas where they have destroyed the grass. Be prepared that the 23 might be a little harder on the grass.

Back
Top Bottom