Did I provoke my neighbor into this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Something else to document. That is actually a type of mail fraud. Not that you could prove it was him, but keep them any way.

I don't know about fraud, but it is a federal offense. If he is silly enough to sign them, the PO would be real interested.

I remember reading a thread about a similar situation. The 3 owners bordering the complainer wound up all getting pigs and putting their pens on the border of the complainer's property.

GaNewChick :

That is what I was wondering....no covenants. Do what you can to protect your chickens and document everything just in case.

Can you have a goat to help keep the grass cut down between mowings? lol

I SO want to get a goat, but I'll save that until I get a *real* farm. LOL... see... I'm really being a nice neighbor!

wyo-helpmeet
:

I keep reading about the OP not being tactful. I'd be snippy too with the use of:

Not to mention- an EMAIL?!?!? Whatever happened to TALKING to your neighbors?

Thanks for the backup! LOL, I do understand that we could've probably diffused the situation - but truthfully - that wasn't something we wanted to back down from. Sure, we could've said "Hey, we'll make you happy 'oh king of the neighborhood' but then like I said before... I'm sure it wouldn't stop there.

E-mail, yeah. He is not so much of an "I have a problem and I'd like to discuss it" kind of guy. More of, "here, let me blast you and then get mad because you don't do my bidding"...
sad.png

Get real. I think people are getting a little out of control. He only said he would put rat poisin in his yard. While the guy is obviously a jerk, the world is full of them. I still think a little kindness and diplomacy could remedy things. You don't have to be friends, but you're probably going to be neighbors for a while. Talking face to face is the way to go.

Quote:
Quote:
This is indeed a regrettable situation that you find yourself in. Answering your last inquiry on whether you did anything to provoke his comments...

It apparently goes without saying that this guy isn't the laidback neighbor type that chuckles when your kids' ball hits the side of his house or brings you a mess of tomatoes over or a mess of turnips already washed. The guy is definitely not an ambassador of goodwill. I'm sure he was abused as a child (isn't that the normal defense?
roll.png
).

What he said initially was brash and crude with little diplomacy about it, but some people are like that. A problem comes up when there are two people with similar personalities like that on opposite sides of a fence. Yelp, sorry to say it, but your initial reply reflected back to him some of what he first sent your way. He spit on your side of the fence, you spat back on his side. It can be like a couple of kids playing tug of war over a toy truck in a sandbox...one kid ends up with a "I did something wrong" look on his face and the other one ends up bawling his eyes out....but with adults the end results can be much more miserable...and much longer lived.

I would quit communicating with him via email, I mean, the two of you are next door neighbors! Do you both have telephones? I would set up a face to face meeting at a neutral place and go to it with the desire of somehow working this out...and not with a comptemptuous attitude. You might point out to him that many large estate owners in the past and present days take pride in their flocks, showing them to many visitors of importance. As long as your yard is kept clean and neat it should not bother anything and will only help your chickens. I would work on the flea problem as that can be a serious issue...for you, your neighbor, your dog, your chicken,...

You are probably the only one that can defuse the situation. You can call animal control, the sheriff, ghostbusters, etc., about the threats but the best they could do is fine him, lock him up, talk to him, blah, blah, blah...but, he'll be back or never go anywhere and he'll have that much more of a grudge against you and yours.

Ya'll live beside him and will live beside him probably for years to come. Do you constantly want a feud going on? That's no way to live and not a good environment in which to raise kids. Somewhere it's gotta stop and the sooner the better. It is going to take "your side of the fence" taking the initiative and probably putting the most energy into reaching an amiable relationship. What he said was crude and ugly, but your response was basically telling him that you could care less about him or his either.

At this point, it doesn't matter what "he said" or "she said"...what matters is at what point ya'll are at now and how to correct the hard feelings that exist. It is a snowball that's growing...better start thawing it out somehow.

Sincerely sending best wishes,
hide.gif

Ed

I think I would be checking about the rat poison and where is can be put outside. If he kills one of you pets he coulod be in trouble not you.

wow sounds like a fued. My advise is to get a cheap aluminum /vinal privacy fence and put it up on that side. The trouble that may continue will not be good for yuou or your pets. Nice to know you live next to a racist, ugg somepeople just need a
smack.gif

I had a family of similar neighbors and what I did was NEVER say a word to them ...but I glared and made eyecontact ...they threw dog poop in my yard I tossed it at their house so it stuck ..it just got awful .living there! ..and I was behaving like them! ....so ...finally I cut the half of their apple tree that grew in my yard down ..tossed all the branches apples everything into their yard and put up a ground into the ground 8 ft fence between us (while they were out of town) ...they came back and called the police who said "so?" ..one time I caught her son looking through one of the boards and dowsed him with pepper spray ...

then put a shim in the boarded area where he was spying

they eventually moved... the fence has always been for me what made great neighbors ..out of sight out of mind

I wanted to either mortar broken bottles in the top of the fence or put barbed wire up but my husband reminded me to be civil

Quote:
Ya know what Jennie, I just read your first post. And I'm not going to read all 50 replies, or how many ever there are.

With the above email reply you sent your neighbor, frankly I'm a little embarrassed for you. It's folks like you that give chicken owners a bad rap.
he.gif

If my neighbor said that to me, I'd try to work something out rather than be snotty...

Priceless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom