Did I provoke my neighbor into this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
We've done so much to make the coop pretty and keep the run consealed. Our yard is clean (maybe the grass only gets cut once a week) and my chickens don't bother anyone. There is no sort of an eye-sore on our property. He was offended by *seeing* chickens. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do need to ask, though - what makes me give chicken owners a bad rap? (I only ask because the last thing I want to do is be a bad rap.)

Thanks,
Jennie

You cut your grass once a week?!!
ep.gif
I only cut my every two weeks...about 3 acres of bahia and ???....I claim my yard is an Auburn Experimental Station...it's full of just about everything.
big_smile.png

It sounds like you're doing fine with your yard and chickens, the only problem I see is a relationship problem with the neighbor. If the neighbor speaks ill of "chicken owners" because of you, those people he speaks to probably know him and will consider the source (him). Don't sweat it.
smile.png

Ed

Thank goodness I live out in the woods with no neighbors. Someone gave me my hive of bees because their neighbors made them get rid of them and called the county because of the "danger". So glad I live where I do!! Good luck with the grouchy neighbor.

Quote:
Ya know what Jennie, I just read your first post. And I'm not going to read all 50 replies, or how many ever there are.

With the above email reply you sent your neighbor, frankly I'm a little embarrassed for you. It's folks like you that give chicken owners a bad rap.
he.gif

If my neighbor said that to me, I'd try to work something out rather than be snotty...

Priceless...

I have to disagree. He was the one who was and a$$ about it first. If he had a problem, he could have come to you and talked about it. I'm not sure about where you live but in Georgia (if I'm not mistaken) if the fence on the property line, then it is just as much your fence as it is his. Who put up the fence you or him or was it there before you moved in. This guy sounds like a real jerk:barnie. And don't worry you don't give anybody a bad rap!! I would have told him to go to He** because you were in the right.
woot.gif

Quote:
Statements that suggest harm whether accidental or on purpose, used in the text of a dispute are considered threats by law. Had he made the statements in person he could have been arrested for assault or in our state for communicating a threat.

well in my county. the property line is 2 feet away from the fence. For a price I can do a SSS on your neighbor
wink.png
just kidding. You need a goof 7' fence or maybe make an enclosed run for your birds on the opposite side of the yard.

I'm VERY concerned about the rat poison. You said there is no privacy fence so rain could wash poison into your yard, even if he doesn't throw it through the fence! You have kids who could ingest that. To me, he has threatened your LEGAL chickens as well as, indirectly, your children. That is serious. Cops AND the media should get involved here!

***By the way, he's committed a hate crime with that language.

Thanks Ed! LOL

We're from around that area originally... my husband went to Auburn! We don't have quite that much grass though! Only about 3/4 of an acre that we have to mow.
smile.png

The severity of this confrontation could have been avoided had a face-to-face conversation occurred. People say & write things in emails that they wouldn't say if confronted in person.

You get more flies with sugar than vinegar, the saying goes, so why not kill him with kindness? He can be a jerk by himself. Don't provoke him. Your life will be easier if you're able to come to some kind of agreement with this guy - it doens't matter if he's a jerk. If he kills your chickens, they're dead. Period. End of story.

But if you & he can come to some kind of arrangement about good fences and non-inflamatory exchanges, your lives will both be better.

ETA: "Did I provoke my neighbor into this?" You may not have started it, but you had a 50% share in progressing the situation in a negative manner.

Last edited:
MichiganWoods, that was HILARIOUS! I love it!

What breed?!?!?!?
lau.gif

speckledhen, I am documenting and keeping a close check on the fence. My little inside yapping dog barks her head off whenever he comes into his back yard so I'll know if he's even out there.

I know I could involve the media and cops, but I'm trying to keep the peace (I know... ) and see if he'll realize how wrong he is on his own.
With that in mind, if he does so much as put *ONE* piece of poison on my property... I'll be calling S.W.A.T!
wink.png
Keep an eye out on the news for a crazy racist in TN getting mobbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom