Did I provoke my neighbor into this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been a teacher in an inner city school for more than 25 years, I can tell you that more often than not, when some one is unreasonably upset/angry with me, it usually has more to do with things going on in their lives than with anything I did. Reasonable people know how to hold diverse opinions, and find compromises. He seems very unreasonable, and sounds like he is trying to provoke you. The best way I've found to handle such situations is to let the person vent, stay calm, then ask them what their goal is and try to find a fair way for them to achieve it. He probably knows he should put up a privacy fence like he said he was going to, maybe even feels guilty about not doing it. Perhaps he can't afford it since he's out of work. Maybe you could pay for materials, and he could do the labor to the fence up? With you both having children, I would try to find a way to live peacefully - your children are going to go to the same schools and activities, maybe be friends! Sometimes it's more important to find a solution than to be right - you'll have to decide whether to escalate, de-escalate, or ignore the problem.

Quote:
WalkingWolf I like that idea.....I have another lets get up the meanest ruffist lookin bunch of guys on ths board and visit Jeanie, We'll sit on her fence line with a big cooler of beer and a little bag of chicken scratch in our lap and holler here chicky chicky all day and glare across the fence at this moron.

Can you cook out some bbq Chicken legs for us Jeanie, we'll make a whole weekend of it!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
WalkingWolf I like that idea.....I have another lets get up the meanest ruffist lookin bunch of guys on ths board and visit Jeanie, We'll sit on her fence line with a big cooler of beer and a little bag of chicken scratch in our lap and holler here chicky chicky all day and glare across the fence at this moron.

Can you cook out some bbq Chicken legs for us Jeanie, we'll make a whole weekend of it!
celebrate.gif

You guys!! Hee hee!
lau.gif

Well. Your neighbor is a perfect a.. .

Inform you nieghbor that if he does not keep his dog locked up as you will keep your chickens he will be detained on site if he ventures onto your property. Tell hin the pound charges 100 bucks or so to get a dog out of hock and this is where he goes should the situation arise.

Give him something to think about. His dog MIGHT be his pet, but you never know.

Let him put the poison down and let him poison his own dog.

Tell him that you will put out some doggie gatoraid (radiator coolent) out just for being such a nice neighbor.

Sounds like you are going to loose this one unless you get as stupid as he thinks he should be.

Tell him that you have some rat poison of your own and will place it in places only his dog could get to.

Let him know he is being an a.. and you will in turn be on too.

I bet in a month you will be best of friends.

Put his email on a spam block. You need to confront this guy on a face to face situation. Be proud and be daring. He will respect you for this if nothing else.

Quote:
Didn't you mention that he's been unemployed for a while? The stress could be getting to him. His language was out of line, but so was yours and it made the situation worse. You brought yourself down to his level....

Not in my opinion.
thumbsup.gif
Could you have tried to work with him? Yep! But there is obviously been other things going on. Personally, I would have reacted way worse than you did!
hide.gif
I wouldn't answer any more of his emails only because it is sure to escalate. Let him go look up the zoning, it's bothering him not you! I would contact the police with his threats because you do have small children and they tend to put things in their mouth. They could get sick because of his stupid behavior with the rat poison.
somad.gif
Because you were there first and you have chickens, he needs to get the stick out of his posterier. His family had a chance to look over the neighborhood prior to buying, I'm sure they noticed the chickens!
rant.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

celebrate.gif

Just tell me when, where, and what time to meet!!
celebrate.gif

I don't think I would take the advice of Rimshoes but I do agree with him about fighting for what is yours.

We are all just another animal & since you know chickens I will use them for the example. You watch as the head Roo approaches another one. In he puts his head down & just lets the other pick him then he has just placed his self in the lower picking order & told the other roo that he was the dominant one. One the other hand if he sticks his chest out, struts around, & tries to make himself look bigger, then the roo might back down & give him what is his or the fight is on to see who is going to lead this flock.

In the end there will be a winner & a loser weather you fight for your right to lead your flock or just put your head down & be picked.

Quote:
Yep, I know. He was trying to provoke me (he didn't know my husband was typing the messages) and when it didn't work, he kept escalating the situation.

Really though. He's started something and I don't want to be a doormat this time (I usually am) and have to be afraid of the crazies if I go outside. I'm just going to drop it. I'll keep my kids and my dog safe and away from his yard.

I'll let my chickens out as I please, or not... either way I'm not infringing on his rights or whatnot.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, this has definately made for an interesting topic.

BTW, y'all bring on the coolers, tires, and scratch... I'll make the bbq! LOL

Passive aggressive action is possibly a solution. I keep thinking of that song when I look at my grass on his side of the property "Baby, you ain't seen nothin' yet!"
gig.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom