Did I Ruin My Rooster?

A

haha that’s awesome! Mine is still terrified of everyone. He’s too scared to even come eat from my hand. I’m really not sure how to change that.
Maybe that's just his personality, then. I have a Silkie Rooster named Scaredy for a reason. Took several years for him to trust me.

The rooster has finally earned his respect and has even started crowing in the early morning. He’s too afraid to be fed from my hand, let anyone pet him, or be picked up. I’ll gladly take suggestions on how to befriend him, if that’s even possible.
That video you just posted of your guy running around your yard with his ladies is just how this guy acts too…

Here’s our SF cockerel, Mr. Blue! —
Our Mr. Blue! 🤣

I recently just sent my 7 month old Buff Orpington Rooster to a new home. He was attacking my kids, wife, even me. The funny thing is A.) Buff Orpingtons are supposed to be docile B.) I raised this rooster up from the day he hatched C.) He was very friendly right up until he got mean. This rooster loved to jump on my lap, eat out of my hand, and be carried around/petted. I’ve had some people tell me that I made him mean by babying him too much. I guess they’re trying to say he learned to not respect me because he didn’t fear me. Did I mess up? I have a new rooster now that is the same age and very timid. He’s terrified of me. I want to try and help him warm up to us, but I don’t want to create another monster. Should I just leave the new roo alone and keep things the way they are, or should I try and befriend him? Thanks for any info!
Sounds like his hormones kicked in and he went A little crazy. I’ve never heard that hand raised roosters turn mean, that sounds like ridiculous wise tales. Probably should’ve put him in his own pen for a few weeks until he mellowed out a bit.

Cockerels can decide to become human aggressive regardless of how they are raised, because it's often an inherited behavior. However, many of us have seen differences in their behavior depending on their environment. Learned social behavior is real; cockerels raised in multigenerational flocks, with mature hens and roosters, tend to be less obnoxious to their flockmates, because the adults serve them 'humble pie'. Humans who try to be flockmates, rather than the giants who bring food, can send very mixed signals to developing little minds.
And their brains are much smaller than their balls!!!
Mary

Cockerels can decide to become human aggressive regardless of how they are raised, because it's often an inherited behavior. However, many of us have seen differences in their behavior depending on their environment. Learned social behavior is real; cockerels raised in multigenerational flocks, with mature hens and roosters, tend to be less obnoxious to their flockmates, because the adults serve them 'humble pie'. Humans who try to be flockmates, rather than the giants who bring food, can send very mixed signals to developing little minds.
And their brains are much smaller than their balls!!!
Mary

LOTS of Humble Pie. Big huge steaming heaps of humble pie. Not just from lead rooster chasing them off, but from the senior hens giving them a beat down when they get too frisky, or too violent. I have a couple girls entering their third year, don't lay particularly well anymore, but they are so good at keeping the boys in line (none older than 8 mo right now) they've earned a temporary reprieve from the sausage maker.

Back
Top Bottom