Did I Spoil my baby chicks already?

alessadry

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
I was feeding my baby chicks those small bags of medicated manna pro. When I saw how much they ate, I started realizing how expensive they were getting... so when Orsheln advertised a 40 pound bag of medicated chick starter for 8.99 I went for it. So I bought it home filled up the feeders and they all care less about it... One even decided to sleep on top of the dispenser.. others are desperately scratching in search of some of their favorite manna pro still on the bottom..maybe they do not like it because it is has larger grains? the manna pro was almost a powdery saw dust consistency..some are even pecking on the wet pine pellets falling apart, almost to say this tastes better than the food I gave them!

I am thinking tonight they will go on strike... should I give them time or go buy them manna pro again? is it ok if they do not eat tonight? i would go buy them a bag now but they are about to close..

If you're really worried that the size is the problem, you could grind some up. You could put it in the blender, food processor, or just put some in a plastic ziploc bag and smash it with a skillet.

My humble opinion is that they won't starve themselves. However, I usually do crush up the starter for the first couple weeks so that the chicks find it easier to eat so I think that is a good plan. I think you'll find that they like it better that way.

I wouldn't go out and buy the expensive food just because you think they like it better. =-)

Back
Top Bottom