DID MY EGGS GET TOO HOT?

I've got the temp stabilised. It's Day 10. Today I dropped an egg while turning it and it dented one it fell on. I feel so bad!! Should I leave it? Will the inside membrane be tough enough to protect the chick? Should I wait and see if it starts to smell? I'm such a klutz!
Yes, as suggested as long as teh membrane is still intact, you can tape over it. I've seen some people use wax, though I'd be more inclined to try tape.

I am having a lot of trouble candling. I'm just putting an egg on top of a toilet paper roll and using a flashlight, but am not seeing much. I just broke open an egg, cause I was sure they were cooked, but it was developing! so I probably lost a viable one. I am now reassured that I haven't cooked them and at least some of them must be growing chicks. Obviously my candling is not good.

I probably candle a lot less than the majority of people who candle. I candle when setting eggs to make sure I'm not putting one in with a hairline fracture or a problem and then, it varies.....Usually I candle at day 10 and lockdown (day 18) and that's it. I've already done day 14 and 18 and once day 18 only. These were very dark eggs and I was afraid early on I would have trouble seeing anything. I've hatched white, colored,, brown and chocolate eggs and there are different visibilities.
If there is a problem with an egg, unless it is leaking, you can take it out later rather than sooner. I came to this conclusion after my first hatch when I would have, candling on the recommended schedule, thrown some away but since I realized I didn't know what I was doing I left them and every one hatched. So after that I've given the eggs the benefit of the doubt unless they really (really really really)look like quitters.
I know people say with a broody they move them around, knock them about and aren't as careful but I have a better hatch rate than my hens. They're around 50 - 66%. I'm close to 100%. (My eggs only. Shipped eggs are a whole different story.)
So especially if you have some eggs you're really hoping to hatch, less may be better in the candling department.

Don't give up on your eggs. It really depends on how hot or cold for how long. I'm sure most people that hatch eggs have had similar situations over the years, I know I have. I would candle at around 14 days and look for movement. If you don't see any movement don't despair the chicks may be resting. Now I only candle when I set my eggs for hatching on day 18 or 19, then I toss any blanks or quitters. I have had some eggs that were questionable and I put a special mark on them. Sometimes they have hatched and sometimes they don't. Good luck and have fun...
Also I would like to say
welcome-byc.gif

I think anyone who has hatched has had some mishaps. You can put a piece of tape over the crack. It maybe ok. I have had cracked eggs hatch. I use a 65 watt mini flood lamp. I put aluminum foil on the inside of the cardboard otherwise the cardboard may catch fire. I have been using this for several years. If there are any hairline cracks in the egg shell you should be able to see them. I put them in the incubator anyway and they usually hatch. Mouse over the lower left corner for the video.
Thank you. I'll try the tape. I hate to lose a chick.

I probably candle a lot less than the majority of people who candle.  I candle when setting eggs to make sure I'm not putting one in with a hairline fracture or a problem and then, it varies.....Usually I candle at day 10 and lockdown (day 18) and that's it.  I've already done day 14 and 18 and once day 18 only.  These were very dark eggs and I was afraid early on I would have trouble seeing anything.  I've hatched white, colored,, brown and chocolate eggs and there are different visibilities. 
   If there is a problem with an egg, unless it is leaking, you can take it out later rather than sooner.  I came to this conclusion after my first hatch when I would have, candling on the recommended schedule, thrown some away but since I realized I didn't know what I was doing I left them and every one hatched.  So after that I've given the eggs the benefit of the doubt unless they really (really really really)look like quitters. 
     I know people say with a broody they move them around, knock them about and aren't as careful but I have a better hatch rate than my hens.  They're around 50 - 66%.  I'm close to 100%.  (My eggs only.  Shipped eggs are a whole different story.)
     So especially if you have some eggs you're really hoping to hatch, less may be better in the candling  department.

Yes, I'm for leaving them in the incubator as long as they don't smell, since I don't really know what I'm doing. I remain hopeful and really appreciate all the comments. I bought my eggs locally so they weren't shipped. That should be a plus.

Last edited:
My eggs have hatched - out of 36 I have 21 chicks, and I am thrilled! 6 weren't fertile and the rest didn't make it, probably due to my trouble with stabilizing the temperature.
I gave up on candling - it was too stressful and I never felt confident with what I was seeing. Now they are in the brooder and doing well mostly. 2 have a funny foot, which I have taped, and put those chicks in a separate box. They seem to be getting stronger and doing better every day.
Thank you everyone for your encouragement and advice!!
I have 7 Barred Rock and 14 Production Reds. Obviously I don't know yet how many females/males. I am hoping for about 10 hens.

Last edited:
My eggs have hatched - out of 36 I have 21 chicks, and I am thrilled! 6 weren't fertile and the rest didn't make it, probably due to my trouble with stabilizing the temperature.
I gave up on candling - it was too stressful and I never felt confident with what I was seeing. Now they are in the brooder and doing well mostly. 2 have a funny foot, which I have taped, and put those chicks in a separate box. They seem to be getting stronger and doing better every day.
Thank you everyone for your encouragement and advice!!
I have 7 Barred Rock and 14 Production Reds. Obviously I don't know yet how many females/males. I am hoping for about 10 hens.
Congrats! That's great!

I think anyone who has hatched has had some mishaps. You can put a piece of tape over the crack. It maybe ok. I have had cracked eggs hatch. I use a 65 watt mini flood lamp. I put aluminum foil on the inside of the cardboard otherwise the cardboard may catch fire. I have been using this for several years. If there are any hairline cracks in the egg shell you should be able to see them. I put them in the incubator anyway and they usually hatch. Mouse over the lower left corner for the video.
what day was the video. I have an extra lamp like yours so I may do the same thing. I had a temp spike too but not for very long. We shall see. I am preparing to candle Sat.day 7. First time for us with doing incubatuob so we have our fingers crossed

I think that was day 10 but it was a couple of years or more ago since I took that video of the embryo in the egg. Now I usually only candle on day 18 or 19 when I take the eggs out of the incubator and put them in the hatchers unless I want to check a few eggs to see how they are developing.

Thank you. No idea how we are doing. Tempted to try candling today which is day 6 with barred rock eggs but since we are new to this, maybe we should wait. I don't think we will really know what we are looking at

Back
Top Bottom