Did my mom my ducks and replaced them? :'(

Chocorobo12

Chirping
Dec 8, 2021
I got my ducks about 8 months ago, they had the feathers on their wings clipped. Their wings used to look like this when we first got them
20211208_144738.jpg

In time the feathers grew back and their wings didn't look sparse like that. I went away on vacation for 4 days and had my mom take care of them for me. I came back to two ducks who didn't seem to be friendly to me, they were rather skittish and their wings looked nothing like I remember their wings being for the last few months before I left. Their wings look freshly clipped. That picture up there is what I came home seeing them looking like, I feel like she killed my ducks and replaced them.... she swore up and down she did nothing nor did she clip their feathers... but I don't know... im just so sad, please if someone could get to the bottom of this for me. ID APPRECIATE IT.

They look like the molted and are replacing their feathers. If you were gone for months, that is why they are leery of you.
I was gone for barely four days :(
When I left her wings didn't look like that, those feathers look as though they were just clipped days ago which makes me think my mom replaced my ducks :(

They look like the molted and are replacing their feathers. If you were gone for months, that is why they are leery of you.
When I left her wings didn't look like that, those feathers look as though they were just clipped days ago which makes me think my mom replaced my ducks :(

Hi Chocorobo12
I can understand your disappointment on returning to find your ducks looking very different from before.

Properly clipped wings do not look like your photo. People should not have to clip the wings of Pekins as they can't fly. We have one little pekin female who can get off the ground, but no more than 3 feet off, and fly maybe 50 feet. Our two large Pekins cannot fly even that well.

Your ducks have lost feathers and have more feathers coming through. Are your ducks happy with each other? That is are you sure they do not pull out eachothers' feathers? If they do not pull out their feathers and have not been kept with other feather-pulling ducks, then it would seem that they molted.

Molting ducks are often miserable and that could make them angry with you for a short time -- they will get over it! Just carry on giving them love and attention, and they will return to their normal behavior with you.

Oh my gosh!! Do you really think your mom would do something like that? I can understand them being a little skiddish but I honestly would have no idea what would cause this. This makes me so sad 😞 I hope your mom didn’t do anything to you babies and there is some reason for the missing feathers.

You stated months above? 🤷‍♀️ I guess I misunderstood what you meant and missed the 4 days.
They wouldn't grow that fast in 4 days if she clipped them. They molted and are growing new feathers. In fact, they are still molting by the looks of them.

Why would your mother want to replace your ducks?

Back
Top Bottom