Did others think you were crazy?

I think its all just so funny with people and chickens, and being afraid of them and thinking they are dirty!! I went to the post office to pick up 2 chickens, and everyone wanted to see but this one lady who was ATTACKED by some sort of turkey, goose...something along those lines, so she was NOT coming near the chickens lol. Just cracks me up!!
lau.gif

Dog houses and rabbit hutches can be converted into little chicken coops for a few hens. People have used all kinds of leftover remodeling or building supplies to build coops. There's even a lot of people that have built coops out of pallets! You'll get a lot of ideas and help in the coop section of the forum. Don't forget to check the raising chicks section, for ideas on making a brooder, also.

I've got the chicken bug. Everywhere I go I look at stuff that can become a coop. I'm serious, it's becoming an obsession. You can pick up and old camper shell put it up on blocks, or hay bails, and you have "CHICKEN COOP".

Oh, the other thing to do is tell everybody about what you plan on doing, and they will come out of the woodwork with stuff. The guy down the road gave us 2 huge rolls of the good old chicken wire. He'd had it in the back for years and wanted to get rid of it. You would be amazed at what you can come up with.

Visit construction sites. I mowed a bunch of lots on a newly being build subdivision, and they were throwing away 2 brand new 4X8 waffer board sheets. Lots of bricks and all kinds of good stuff.

My dh was like yours, and now he plays with the chickens more than I do! One of our Buff's even flirts with him instead of the rooster (which I find HYSTERICAL!).

Our rooster was a suprise and I thought I'd have to re-home him. But the neighbors love him! One is reminded of her childhood. One has loved listening to him perfect his crow as he's aged. The other neighbor we went to, rooster in hand, and introduced them. We asked if he bothered them and they said no (and that they appreciated us asking). After petting the little guy's head (he was on best behavior) I knew they'd never send him away.

And now the same people who mocked and teased me for this weird hobby inquire about our new pets and amused by their stories. And EVERY child likes seeing an actual green egg! Get some EE's!!

My husband thought I was CRAZZY for wanting chinkens for my Birthday!

However, being the wonderful guy he is he dutifully built me a coop... ever endevoring to make me happy.

It took him about four months but duty gave way to love.

Now, two chickens that were attacked by a racoon (three months ago) get ushered in (By my DH) every night to sleep in his sacred office (he dosent want them to be scared). I only get let in the office about once a week if I'm lucky or bearing a cup of coffee.

He will fall in love with your sweet chickens. Who can't? They are all so different! We sat and watched tv with ours every night while they were still babies (with a towel of course). Now they love to sit in our laps when we are outside. They love us and we love them.

If having a few sweet hens is crazzy... then I'll be the crazzy chicken lady. I'm ok with that!

Sincerly,
Proud mama of...
Mama, Maggie, Sepheria, Dhalia, Lou, Hourus, Alice, Little, Phylis & America Elizabeth

005.jpg

so being the enabler that I am.......

You've already tapped into freecycle. Craigslist also has a free section.

Free wood: Pallets...especially if you have an ATV, Snowmobile, or hot tub dealership. The reason being they have larger sturdier pallets.

Free Nails/screws can usually be found on the floor of DH's garage or workshop!!!!

Free bedding: Go to the cabinet shops and ask for their wood shavings. I bring them a garbage can and I pick it up when it's full---I use it for my planting beds as mulch also. The TWO shops I get it from didn't believe me when I said I could use ALL that they produced...so far...I'm still asking for more!

Free nest boxes: just about anything will do....but one simple one is to use an old cardboard box. Cut off three of the "lips" or flaps. Tape one "shut". Put it on it's side. If you get several the same size..you can stack them. The "lip" is to keep the shavings in. Oh...if you stack them...just taple or nail them to the wall so they don't fall over.

Free feeder and waterer: See the BYC learning center (link on top of the page)-- there it shows how to make feeders and waterers from 5 gal buckets. Get the free buckets from restaurants

Free chicken food: talk to your grocer---many will give their older "throw away" stuff which is just not good enough to sell to humans for free if you tell them it's for chickens. ALso a good way to keep your fridge well cleaned out--no more rotting food in the back of your fridge!

Free chickens: ask on freecyle!!!! check your local shelter...

OH. yes.... let me tell you... If you have the time and will---you can do the whole thing for free!

MOST OF ALL---HAVE FUN

Sandra

OH...and as on of the BYC bumper sticker states....IT's cheep therapy---you just can't underestimate that benefit!

edited for spelling errors..likely to have to spell check some more!

Last edited:
I live in an area where no one has chickens, other than the rare chicken farm...and everyone at work thinks im nuts! They don't believe that I really have chickens. Until I had a few ppl over..than they really thought i lost my mind. And now im thinking of getting ducks...i dont want to tell anyone. My family ALL make fun of me for being active on a Chicken Forum! All I say is, Its alot quicker than reading a book! I LOVE YOU GUYS!

My husband thought I was nuts till he got them in the mail and I wasn't home, and he had to take care of them till I got back. He thought I was nuts till he held a chick, and now they jump on him and take treats from him.
I think the 75 year old lady next door is nuts because UPS pulls up to her house everyday with jewelry from HSN, and lots of it.
People at work joke around with me, and can't understand what's cute about a chicken, and my "addiction", but being on this board reinforces my belief that I am normal.
I always say, "you only live once, make the best of it" Karen

Freecycle rocks!!!
I even got a laptop...it's a 10 ton paperweight, but it's a laptop and it's mine, all mine...
The Animal Rescue League in Boston gets all the farm animals which they ship off to Nevin's Farm in Methuen and they ALWAYS have chickens.
You could even join a club for show birds and they could set you up with some birds too.
the local fairs are another good way to get birds, but you should check them over with a fine toothed comb before you put them with other birds.

Back
Top Bottom