did she drown? :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spish, Jan 14, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    is it possible for a duck to drown? one of my 6 month old female scovies died today. she was fine this morning while i was doing my rounds in the field. . i was out there a good half an hour with them and she seemed in great health. then i got a call that my son was ill so i had to go and pick him up from school. i was gone not even 10 minutes. i came home to find her floating in the kiddy plastic pool ( its outside their duck house!) she was on the verge of death but just alive. i yanked her out onto the side she gave a few weak and feeble movements then died. none of my drakes are with the girls right now so it couldnt have been a mating gone wrong. i just dont understand what happened [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So sorry about what has happened. Yes strange as it may seem- but ducks can drown. Have you ever seen mating behaviour between your girls? With the drakes in another pen - it may have been another female trying to mount your poor girl in the pool.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Before mine started laying last week, one of mine was constantly on another one in the pool. I've not seen that since the mounter started laying though.
    So one of your other girls may have mounted her in the pool and not let her come up for air.

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I do not have ducks but my friend does and he has lost one to drowning - i wouldnt think it was possible - but ... Sorry

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I too, have heard of ducks drowning. Especially young ones. So sorry for your loss.

6. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I have had fully feathered well grown ducks drown in the kiddie pool...I now leave a cinder block step in the pool at all times...it gives them a non-skid spot to easily crawl up onto since the plastic is slippery.
    I'm sorry you lost your girl [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by