Did shock kill her?

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
I was going down to close up the chickens this evening when I come upon a pile of feathers. First thought is that some how the hen got out and the fox that I've been fighting with since last summer had gotten her. I'm sad but it has happened before and I just have to deal with it. I count heads and close up the coops and head back up to the house.

On my way up by the basement door I see the hen cowering in the corner under neath the facet. I am elated that she is still alive and impressed that she was able to get away from that fox. She seems fine but pretty shaken I put on the floor to see if she was able to walk. She was able but didn't seem aware of everything around her. I carried her with me to get the kennal and she started to struggle I held her tight and she continued to struggle then she went limp, head fallen and eyes shut, I thought she was dead. Then suddenly agian she started agian to struggle I didn't have any idea what was going on. I got her into a box with shaving and the struggling lessened but she was obviously dieing and within 30 seconds she was dead.

Do you think that what I thought was general struggling was actually seizures?

The are what I believe might have happened:

- The terror of nearly being killed by a fox pushed her into shock

- Possibly the fox shook her and caused neralogical damage

I'm really pretty sad cause It's one thing to lose them once but to think that she was alive and then for her to die agian in you hands is pretty depressing.

Sorry for your loss Corey. You're a good chicky momma for trying to help her. It's never easy to lose a feathered friend.

Sorry Corey.

Sounds like she was so far into shock that there was no way for her to recover. There is nothing that can be done when this occurs. Most likely what you felt as struggling was seizures as she died. All you can do is hold on and hope she knows that she did not die alone.

Matt
Morganton, NC

so sorry corey
I had a silkie die of fright/shock.
I know this because even though something was after her for a fee secounds it never acually got ahold of her.
I think she had a heart atack.

:-(

Corey..I am so sorry to hear about your loss.
sad.png

I agree with the others that she was probably in her "death throws." It is never easy to lose a beloved pet, but at least you were able to be with her and comfort her when she passed. :aww

Dang it, I count this morning and I must have miscounted there are two missing. So the fox got one and this hen got away. There is a high possiblility that she was never touched by the fox.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom