1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did the same chicken lay these eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sillyaboutchickens, Nov 25, 2009.

1. sillyaboutchickens

sillyaboutchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    [​IMG]
    What do you think? Could the same chicken have layed the two greenish colored eggs? We got the very small one (on the end) yesterday and the larger one (in the middle) today. I saw the chicken that layed the larger egg today. We know she is laying greenish colored eggs and I didn't think the other EE/Ameraucanas were laying yet, but the eggs are so different in size and color. Can a single chicken's eggs be so variable from day to day?

Thanks for your opinions!

2. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

They could be but I doubt that they're laid by the same girl. one looks more blue and one is deffinatly green. My bet is on two different birds, lovely I'm still waiting on my EE's to start paying their rent.

3. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    very nice! How old are your EE's? I have four 12 wk old EE's...

4. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes how old are you EEs? Mine are 27 weeks now!

5. sillyaboutchickens

Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    The one we know is laying is about 24 weeks old. The others are only 18 1/2 weeks old. I am very excited to see what color eggs they will lay. I do kind of think one of them is laying, hence the tiny egg yesterday. Our big EE (24 weeks) has not layed an egg that small and if she layed an egg yesterday AND today, that would make 5 straight days in a row and 7 eggs in 9 days. That seems like a lot for a new girl (she just started laying last week).

I suppose patience and observance will reveal the anwers......but I want to know NOW![​IMG]

6. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I now have 3 out of 4 EE's laying, 2 of them the first this week. They are 28 weeks old. The other started a couple of weeks ago (at 26 weeks old). So... patience is called for [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think you have different pullets laying those eggs.

Very nice colors! Congrats!

8. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    We are frustrated at our house, as the May 25th hatch Ameraucanas are not yet laying! The Delawares, Sussex and Welsummers are all doing a good job, but we are unimpressed with the Ameraucanas at this point. Upped the protein and light which worked wonders on the others, but no change on the Ameraucanas. [​IMG]

9. Woodchuckfamily

Woodchuckfamily New Egg

Jun 26, 2009
    Our 2 EE finally had a egg this week [​IMG] . That would make it 28 weeks of waiting for us. Our other girls red and black sex links have been at it for weeks now.

10. sillyaboutchickens

Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    Joann, hang in there! It seems I have been reading from a lot of folks with EEs who have not started laying until 26-28 weeks. It could be any day now [​IMG] (or a couple more weeks). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by