Did we do good or what?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chiknhut, Oct 8, 2008.

1. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

My DH ran across a guy that he hasn't seen in 2 years and they were talking poultry and stuff. My DH told him he was looking for a few turkeys to go with the lone one that we had. He tells my DH to come to his house and he would make him a deal. Of course, when he got back and told me I couldn't wait for the work day to be over with. Anywho, we go to his house and we purchased 4 turkeys (the father is a blue slate and beautiful, the mother looked like a mix of narragansett and ??). We paid $25.00 for the 4 turkeys that look between 6-8 weeks old. Plus he ask if we wanted the bantam chicks that he had (15 of them) for free. So guess what we are owners of now. I have never had bantams so I am gonna have to find out more bout them. BTW are they the same as bantys? I was excited and wanted to share.

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Coooooollllll!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Yes, banty is a shortened version of bantam, which just means it is smaller than a normal sized chicken. They come in many of the same breeds.

4. chiknhut

So what do you do with them (bantys)? Can you incubate their eggs just like reg. chickens?

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:ofcourse ya can [​IMG] And congrats on all the cheapies and free bees! [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Bantums are miniature sized chickens. Everything is the same except egg size. It takes 3 of theirs to equal 1 standard egg.

7. chiknhut

So MissP, if I were to use their eggs in a recipe I would use 3:1.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes. They lay very small eggs.

9. chiknhut

Thank you so much

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Banties are so cute!! That is all that I have, (besides a few standard OEG) and I wouldn't have it any other way! Have fun with those! I especially love the little roosters dance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by