Did we do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by McChickenNugget, Oct 12, 2014.

1. McChickenNugget

McChickenNugget Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Two days ago we were feeding the chickens and one hen was getting chased so she jumped on a roost to get away from the roosters. All of a sudden a bloody egg fell right out of her and smashed on the ground. We then noticed that she had a really bad prolapse and was dripping blood and droppings. It was getting dark and we didn't know what to do so we decided to put her down. We felt really bad about it but we didn't know what else to do. Now my husband is wondering if we could have saved her. I heard of people treating hens with a prolapse but this was just a bloody mess. It was a pretty young hen and that might have been her first egg. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    My hens have had lots problems.In fact 1 did the exact thing and is still living,this hen was not too young.My 1 year old hen had the sack of the egg hanging out of her butt.Not sure if it was bad,but could anybody agree on that?

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I think you absolutely did the right thing - 100%

Preventing the suffering of birds and animals can never be the wrong decision in my humble opinion.

She is now free from any pain she was in purely because you both made a responsible decision - and did not take the easy option.

Please tell your hubby not to feel any guilt, and neither should you.

Maybe she could have lived, maybe not. We will never know.

The fact is that had she gone on, she would have been uncomfortable at best, and in severe pain at worst. Now she is free.

I am sorry for your loss [​IMG]

Krista

4. darkbrahmamama

darkbrahmamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    I also had a hen that was egg bound with the egg hanging out of her in a sack. She's only 6 months old. I soaked her in warm water, got the egg out, used prep-h 2 times daily, put her on antibiotics, & had to cut off a good amount of skin that died. She's doing good now, but her minor prolapse was stressful for us both. She spent a week in a small dog cage in the dark. I think if you felt it was too much for you & your husband, you did the right thing by not letting her suffer. There are people out there who would have done nothing & just let her die a painful death.

5. McChickenNugget

McChickenNugget Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thanks for all of the support everyone. It was one of my little dominique hens :( I hope this doesn't happen again but if it does we might try to treat it first since it seems like a prolapse isn't a death sentence after all.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that you did the right thing. Hens that prolapse and recover have a tendency to prolapse again.

7. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    X2

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    A prolapse is often treatable and definitely not always a death sentence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by