Did we do the right thing?

McChickenNugget

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Northeast Pennsylvania
Two days ago we were feeding the chickens and one hen was getting chased so she jumped on a roost to get away from the roosters. All of a sudden a bloody egg fell right out of her and smashed on the ground. We then noticed that she had a really bad prolapse and was dripping blood and droppings. It was getting dark and we didn't know what to do so we decided to put her down. We felt really bad about it but we didn't know what else to do. Now my husband is wondering if we could have saved her. I heard of people treating hens with a prolapse but this was just a bloody mess. It was a pretty young hen and that might have been her first egg. Any advice would be appreciated.

My hens have had lots problems.In fact 1 did the exact thing and is still living,this hen was not too young.My 1 year old hen had the sack of the egg hanging out of her butt.Not sure if it was bad,but could anybody agree on that?

I think you absolutely did the right thing - 100%

Preventing the suffering of birds and animals can never be the wrong decision in my humble opinion.

She is now free from any pain she was in purely because you both made a responsible decision - and did not take the easy option.

Please tell your hubby not to feel any guilt, and neither should you.

Maybe she could have lived, maybe not. We will never know.

The fact is that had she gone on, she would have been uncomfortable at best, and in severe pain at worst. Now she is free.

I am sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Krista

I also had a hen that was egg bound with the egg hanging out of her in a sack. She's only 6 months old. I soaked her in warm water, got the egg out, used prep-h 2 times daily, put her on antibiotics, & had to cut off a good amount of skin that died. She's doing good now, but her minor prolapse was stressful for us both. She spent a week in a small dog cage in the dark. I think if you felt it was too much for you & your husband, you did the right thing by not letting her suffer. There are people out there who would have done nothing & just let her die a painful death.

Thanks for all of the support everyone. It was one of my little dominique hens :( I hope this doesn't happen again but if it does we might try to treat it first since it seems like a prolapse isn't a death sentence after all.

Back
Top Bottom