Did you ever trick or treat when you were younger?

Did you ever trick or treat when you were younger?

• I always did!!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every other year

• Sometimes

• A couple times

• Never did

• Total voters
My mom used to take us to her sister's big subdivision so we could trick-or-treat with our cousins. I remember it being so much fun. We usually take our kids to our church's Trunk-or-Treat and then let them do the street our house is on when we get home. This year, since the kids are older, I think we're just doing our own subdivision. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went every year- the houses were so close together in the Cleveland suburbs. We'd come home with pillowcases full of candy. I took my oldest 2 kids every year too.

Then we moved to the woods and have no neighbors. They have "trunk or treat" at the churches in town, but it's NOT the same. I got my youngest kids costumes to wear to school parties, but it's such a bummer here! Why carve a pumpkin? Nobody to see it! Boooooring!

My mom decided that 17 is too old to go trick or treating
rant.gif

ep.gif
since when is that too old!!!
somad.gif

I was so angry, cause I was so excited about it - I always go down south to my cousins house and trick or treat in a really rich area - talk about lots of king sized candy bars.

So my mom and me decided to compromise, I am having friends come over to my house for a halloween party with lots of candy and a slumber party. So hopefully it will be fun
idunno.gif
Its just not the same. I have always always gone trick or treating, even when I was a newborn baby my rents took me with everyone else....

my parents wouldnt let us, my dad said he wasnt having his kids out begging for candy and if we wanted candy he would just buy it.
I now on other hand took my girls from the time they were big enough to go till they didnt want to go anymore.

Only reason I had a kid was so I could go trick or treating and play with Legos again without feeling guilty.

Not a lot of kids come out here. I used to love decorating for Halloween. I built a couple full on haunted houses. Had a lot of fun building the 'PG-Rated' haunted house.

Quote:
Each year there are less and less porch lights on for kids.

When I was young everyone did Halloween. It was a blast. You could walk your entire neighborhood until your legs fell off. And the candy! We took a pillow case so that the candy wouldn't rip the bag.

The last year that I went trick or treat with my kids, we had to walk so far to find a lit house that it was not fun anymore. We were in a populated neighborhood too.

Trunk or treat is okay but it isn't trick or treat. You don't meet your neighbors or the sweet old lady with too many cats. You don't learn which houses give the best candy. And you don't have to do any work-by walking everywhere- for the candy so it isn't as satisfying.

Quote:
Well, that is no fun. Candy taste better when you have to walk every street in your neighborhood to get individual packets.
tongue.png

Halloween is my favorite holiday. I just love how we can conquor all our inner fears(or childishness) by dressing up as what frightens us. That just makes me happy.

Last edited:
I always went trick or treating . . . didn't really appreciate it until my teens, didn't stop until my early twenties, and I very much resent the dirty looks I got (luckily there were very few, most people understand that there isn't an age limit on fun). Halloween was originally a holiday for adults, and started being geared more and more towards children as a marketing ploy. Not that it's too terrible being forced to the sidelines for the sake of profit when there are still great parties to enjoy, but still, adults had dibs on this wonderful holiday first, and no one should look down on them for enjoying it by trick or treating (sorry, rant brought on by seeing comments from people claiming age has stopped them. I'm done now
smile.png
).

Anyone have malls that do trick or treating? Unlike trunk or treating, there's quite a bit of legwork involved, and the stores and volunteers go all out. Fun activities out the wazoo, too, and the treats are extra awesome since it isn't all candy and is often different based on the age of the trick or treater. As much as I loved trick or treating, and hate to see how people are letting their paranoia allow it to die out, I can't help but think the mall trick or treating has it trumped. I hope more malls jump on the bandwagon.

My daughter has been so angry about Halloween since we moved to North Carolina.

We used to live in the "stepford neighborhood" to those of y'all that know what I mean. All stay at home mom's on 3/4 acre lots in 200-300K houses with 3 kids each. 200 houses in the Development?

It is/was my husband favorite Holiday. In the first house we owned we lived in a not so great neighborhood, and my husband being a Coca Cola collector came up with the theory the better stuff you gave out the less the chances of the house or car being vandalized. So when he was 18 and bought the house from his parents who had owned it for 20 years before that he started handing out Cans of Coca Cola.

We became known as the Coke House. We would put out like 30 lit candles on the porch and sit outside with the cooler full of coke handing them out to all the kids and parents who came by. I would take my daughter trick or treating, just around the block because it wasn't really safe.

When we moved to our "perfect neighborhood" in Richmond, my daughter was in Trick or Treating heaven. We would go out with 8 or 10 of her friends, walk as far as her little legs could carry her, then as I got older as far as my little legs would carry me, then come home and hand out cokes to the older kids.

When we moved to Raleigh we lived on the Cary border in an apt building while our house was built. We went trick or treating there, just the two of us. What a let down after trick or treating in a gang of kid with hundreds of kids trick or treating on the road around you. We would be the only ones out and half the doors wouldn't answer. So we went to all the buildings. Still a descent haul. My husband got quite a few knocks once word of the cokes got out, but it's not the same as being "the Coke house" for 20 years.

Now we're on our 17 acre farm, all undeveloped land around us with a few older neighbors, no kids. Last year I took her to a friends neighborhood to trick or treat. This year at 13 3/4 she's out of the trick or treating business.

Now me, I was a trick or treat pro. One year I even dressed up as Santa Claus. Was a good Choice in the Boston Suburban cold. However, all the tiny kids coming up to be trying to hug me and telling me how much they loved me kind of cramped my style.

Next year I went punk and wore only a trash bag dress over shorts and t-shirt. I FROZE. I've been a bag of Jelly Beans (Colored Ballons inside a clear trash bag), My sister was a tube of tooth paste (Two pillow cases sewn together for lenth, painted, with a plastic easter basket for a "cap")

My friend was a domino (box painted black with paper dots and lines on it) however, you can't forget to cut slats in the side of the box you can move your legs, or your friend will have to carry you up stairs and pick you up every time you trip. Trust me on that one.

Gotta LOVE Halloween!!!!!

Laney

Back
Top Bottom