Thick blood clots in Serama poop

You can also dose by grams of weight - .02 ml per 100 gms of weight of bird.
Honestly, for the liquid I usually just give them 1 to 3 drops, I don't worry too much about giving a little too much. In this case a bit too much is better than not enough.

... when I'm raising chicks in a brooder I start giving them a saucer ... with dirt from my yard starting in the first week, to dig and scratch in, so that they are gradually exposed to all the microbes in the soil. ... gives them the chance to build resistance naturally.
What a GREAT idea! I'm going to start doing the same thing! Thanks!

UPDATE (3 days from original post):

Our 3rd bird ended up having one bloody poop, so not as severe as the other two. That was the last bloody poop from any of them, and their behavior never changed. It is just so odd! I'm still treating their water with Corid and will continue that for 2 more days, then follow up with some vitamins for a few days to help replenish lost nutrients. Going forward, should I begin a maintenance dose on occasion to prevent this from happening again? Go back to medicated chick starter? Only treat again if I see symptoms? I greatly appreciate any advice you may have, and thanks again for your prompt reply and advice last Friday, you may have saved my birds!

I'm very glad they are doing better! Some birds never show much in the way of symptoms other than bloody droppings, assuming it's treated before it's fatal. Some don't even have bloody droppings, they are just found dead. It can vary greatly depending on individual immune systems and the coccidia strain present, and birds are very good at hiding symptoms, signs can sometimes be very subtle and often missed. I personally don't do maintenance or preventative doses, I just treat when necessary, and if in doubt I treat. Medicated feed is a personal choice, it may reduce the incidence of outbreaks, but will not treat them when they happen, and they can still happen. Some people swear by it, I've never used it as I prefer not to give them something unless it's necessary, and I'm not growing out huge numbers of chicks. Your birds that have been exposed to this strain and recover will have some resistance to it in the future, so less likely they will get sick with it again unless their immune systems are compromised. They can however still get sick from strains they have not been exposed to. There are about 10 strains, I think, that can affect chickens. I'm always vigilant, especially when growing chicks, to make sure I spend time observing and watching for any signs at all of anything 'off' with any of them. The riskiest times are young chicks growing out, young birds put on new soil for the first time, and birds that have been moved to new ground. New birds brought in can pick up strains previously not exposed to that are in your soil, and can bring in new strains with them that your current birds haven't been exposed to. I haven't had an outbreak/case in about 3 1/2 years, so feel pretty good about the way I'm handling it in my flock. But Corid will always be in my 1st aid box. Here is a bit bit more information on medicated feed, may help you decide what you are comfortable with:
https://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/poultry/feed-health/myth-busting-medicated-chick-starter-npf/

8 week old Seramas have bloody stool this morning. The blood has thick clots along with fresh blood as well. The actual stool itself does not have blood within it, but a lot of clotting and fresh blood is coming out with the stool. No behavior changes up until this morning. They seem a little quieter than normal, but still eating and drinking as usual.

I have cleaned the cage and separated all 3 to find out which one is having problems, so far I have confirmed that 2 of them are passing the blood, I suspect the 3rd is as well :(

History & Housing Environment:
Hatched under our silkie in a cage indoors. Put mama back outside about a week after hatch because she was just a little too rough with her scratching in the shavings and the 3 babies kept getting caught up under her feet. Since then, they have been in a cage together in our home. Their little feet have never touched soil, they have always been on shavings that we replace every few days to a week. There are no other birds in the cage with them, it's just the 3 of them (1 pullet and 2 cockerels). They all get along well, no picking on each other.

Feed:
They have been on Big V medicated chick starter from hatch until about 2 weeks ago when we switched to non-medicated Nutrena. Yesterday we ran out of the chick crumble so I gave them layer crumble in the morning and evening. Last night when I refilled their water before bed, everything looked fine, no blood in the cage, nothing out of the ordinary. This morning when I went in to feed and fill water everything still looked fine. Filled their bowl with the layer crumble again because that is all I have available right at the moment. A couple of hours later we found 6 fresh bloody spots in the cage! Only a few of the bloody spots had poop in them, the rest were just clots and fresh blood.

So what is this? I'm going to call the vet to see if I can get them in tomorrow, but until then I would love to hear from the community here, thanks in advance for any input and advice!

View attachment 1514274
Any update? One of mine is doing the same today 😭😭😭 started corrid but it’s more blood than bloody poo

Back
Top Bottom