Blood clot-Who, why, emergency?

aliciawrenn

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 9, 2015
York, SC
IMG_6156.jpeg

Found this large blood clot on the coop floor this morning. The other image is a smaller clot just cropped photo.
F6CE16D8-F8AE-46E7-A9C0-4A05C9BCE6A5.jpeg
We have 20 hens, 3 roosters, 1 female turkey and one Tom turkey. The Tom does not sleep in the coop and rarely goes in.
Any idea how to determine who this came from as no one is showing signs of issues such as a prolapse.
Should I be worried like I am? Is it just something that happens this time of year with increased egg laying and potential fertilization of eggs? I have been doing this for almost 10 years and have never seen a clot this large and just by itself on the floor of the coop.
Thanks for your input!!

I would do some investigation, note if anyone looks weak or sickly, check vents for any damage or blood on feathers, and look for any blood feathers that are bleeding.

How large is the clot ? The photo doesn't show scale. When you present a two dimensional object as in a photo, we have no way to determine size unless you tell us that information or place a ruler next to the object when taking the photo. Was the clot associated with any poop? Or did you find it as an isolated object?

Usually, a comb injury or toe injury will bleed flamboyantly much as a human head wound does - hosed all over the place. A clot like that, likely composed of some mucous, usually comes from some place internal. Hens can occasionally shed a scrap of lining in the oviduct, and if it causes a blood vessel to break, you can get a clot like that. Such an event is nothing to worry about unless you keep seeing clots. If the clots are in poop, you may have coccidiosis going on.

Back
Top Bottom