Diet... what do you feed yours?

JK Farms & Sanctuary

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Santa rosa
I am getting two, 10days (as of today) emu chicks next week sometime, I have their pen and everything set up for them but what does everyone feed theres? I know that my feeds tore can special order emu diet, but what do others feed other than that, and what is the best diet to feed to chicks and how much?
Thanks.

Mine have always received regular chicken chick starter up until they were about 7-9 months old, then they started getting a mix of sweet feed, horse pellets, chicken feed, dog food, catfish pellets etc..... mine did not like the emu chow, and with all my other animals they decided to eat what they were eating....

I started mine on Mizouri Ratite Starter and plan to keep them on it for about six months. They really seem to love it. The only problem is getting it. It takes about four to six weeks when my local feed store orders it for me. We run out before the next bag comes in so I order 200 pounds last time. During the time we were out they ate chick starter, non medicated but it gave them very watery green stools. All three of them got it and there little bums got very red. Now that they are back on the ratite starter they are having their regular solid dark stools and the redness has subsided. I am hoping to get the four bags in before this one runs out. Then I will switch them to Ratite maintenence feed when they reach six months.

Back
Top Bottom