Diets....sparkpeople? Weight Watchers? GAH!!!

booker81

Redneck Tech Girl
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Mid-MI
So, I'm not happy with my weight. My doc suggested weight watchers, with the comment that I do eat well, but I'm getting "hidden sources of fat and sugar. "

I've got about 40lbs I would like to lose. Counting calories is dandy, but it's kinda hard since I don't really eat a lot of foods with a label on them. I'm stuck on what's good, bad, right, wrong.

Like my work. My workplace has a freaking fantastic cafeteria...which is part of the problem. So many options. Even for breakfast. I can choose the buffet with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrown squares, regular hashbrowns, hashbrowns with peppers and onions,breakfast sandwiches, bagels, muffins, breakfast burritos, french toast, pancakes. They also have the yogurt bar, with oatmeal, "All natural vanilla yogurt", "Low fat Michigan fruit yogurt" (has cherries and strawberries in it), almonds, wheat germ, granola, fresh fruit, craisins, and pumpkin seeds. What is the right choice????!

My mom does weight watchers and I can start going to meetings with her. Sparkpeople is online (and free).

Of course, it doesn't help my husband can eat like a horse, and likes traditional home meals.....like tonight - venison with onions and gravy, corn, and homemade mashed potatoes. How do I calculate those???

I lost 50 lbs 4 years ago. A couple of things - it is about portion size and weight. Also calories in minus calories out. As far as counting things that are not labeled, it can be pretty easy. Start a food journal and eat frequent small portions. You will need to measure each portion - with measuring cups or spoons and weigh things like meat. I used a modified diabetic diet (eventhough I am not diabetic). You also need to start moving - I don't know if you workout to get your heartrate up but that will help. I have heard of lots of success with weightwatchers, too. Try going on www.fitday.com it is a free website that helps you track your meals. It can be time consuming but successful. If you want more details, pm me.

carol

I'm in the same sitiation, hubby loves good home cooked food, so do I :0)

I've started by uping the amount of veggies i eat. My plate looks something like this half veggies, 1/4 protien 1/4 carbs (This is for supper) I've started useing more whole wheat ect.

I like spark people but found it way too time consuming. Were trying to eat more salads here, drink more water, I'm trying to switch from my coffee, with cream and sugar, to green tea straight up.

I really don't like calorie counting, I've lost 10 pounds doing it my way. Still got 30-40 to go.

Back
Top Bottom