Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas

Pics

Good morning! I am new to BYC. Great site. Please take a look at my pics. I really am interested in raising Ameraucana's for the kids to show. My roo and chicks were not purchased from hatcheries. We have done well with our 4-H cinnamon's, but are ready to explore new blue-egg territory! Do you think I have any true Ameraucana's? I am into this early enough to turn these out with the laying flock. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Good morning! I am new to BYC. Great site. Please take a look at my pics. I really am interested in raising Ameraucana's for the kids to show. My roo and chicks were not purchased from hatcheries. We have done well with our 4-H cinnamon's, but are ready to explore new blue-egg territory! Do you think I have any true Ameraucana's? I am into this early enough to turn these out with the laying flock. Any help is greatly appreciated.
They look like the typical Easter Eggers to me.

I was afraid so. I do love them and will incorporate them into the laying flock. The roo is so sweet he does not mind being handled. I guess it is time to learn about hatching and get eggs from a reputable breeder.

Could I suggest you look into Chantecler chickens. They are the only true Canadian breed. They were bred by friars in Quebec and have traits that are good for cold Canadian climates They are good winter layers and do well in the cold climate. I would suggest you avoid birds with large combs or feathered feet both of which can facilitate frost bite. Once you arrive in Ontario you could find other poultry fanciers and ask for their help in designing a coop that will keep the chicks warm in winter and cool in summer as Southern Ontario can get very hot and humid in the summer which can be as hard on your hens as the cold winter weather. Cheers, Sheila

My Ameraucana's turned iut to be Easter Eggers...but that's ok. They layed their VERY FIRSTegg yesterday! Beautiful green...but very small. Do they get bigger as the hens get older?
You know, you got yourself some Olive Eggers there! Those don't happen by accident. EEs green eggs are a lighter blue green. Neat. Pullet eggs usually do get bigger as they continue to lay.

Back
Top Bottom