Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas

Pics

Thank you :)
They were eggs that came from my neighbor. .her roo is gorgeous and what I was hoping to get one of..I hatched probably 40 chicks and not one favored him..but some of the hens had muffs, some bearded, some neither..and I don't have any way of knowing who came from what..the lighter of mine has a small beard (I have teeny banties with beards 3x bigger), and she is more of a solid blue and the darker one has no beard but has gold/buff lacing. Both have blueish legs and feet (bottoms too)

I hope they are EE, bc I just swapped eggs with a girl and represented them as EEs..

Do you see those feathers sticking up by their tails? Those do that all year..I thought it was from the rooster getting rough so I separated them for a long while and it stayed. .is that a character of anything? Or just my crazy birds? Lol

Last edited:

So I've been reading all day and my head is swimming with chromosomes, and melanin, and splash, and gawd knows what else. In regards to Carmela, what does 'blue gene' mean? And is it in corolation as to what her eggs might look like? Also, what would the terminology be for the coloration of Píp? Given that his darker cream colored head stops at almost the same spot where Carmela turns from a rusty red to her grey tinted plumage, would the color terminology be the same, but with a lighter/washed out coloring for Píp?

Its 3:30am here in Michigan, and at this point I'm not afraid to say I need it 'dumbed down'. I totally overloaded my brain with trying to figure this stuff out today, and I'm just beat. :(

Thanks in advance! -yawns-

So I've been reading all day and my head is swimming with chromosomes, and melanin, and splash, and gawd knows what else. In regards to Carmela, what does 'blue gene' mean? And is it in corolation as to what her eggs might look like? Also, what would the terminology be for the coloration of Píp? Given that his darker cream colored head stops at almost the same spot where Carmela turns from a rusty red to her grey tinted plumage, would the color terminology be the same, but with a lighter/washed out coloring for Píp?

Its 3:30am here in Michigan, and at this point I'm not afraid to say I need it 'dumbed down'. I totally overloaded my brain with trying to figure this stuff out today, and I'm just beat. :(

Isn't it crazy what chickens will do to you? I started out thinking I wanted a couple layers and some 'pretties' for the yard so I went for EEs, Silkies and Polish. .didn't care about bird or egg color..fast forward 2 years and I'm ready to do DNA tests on my layers and went from mutt looking Silkies to paints (and hopefully chocolate soon) and from gold laced Polish to Tolbunt and hopefully candy corn..
and that's just what I'm working towards, that doesn't count the hours and hours reading up on breeders, colors, genetics and time spent upgrading all my chicken 'facilities'.. Chicken math my foot.. more like chicken hobby to chicken lifestyle . Lol..

Its 3:30am here in Michigan, and at this point I'm not afraid to say I need it 'dumbed down'. I totally overloaded my brain with trying to figure this stuff out today, and I'm just beat.
sad.png

In regards to Carmela's color, the blue gene I was talking about is a gene that dilutes black feathers to a light grey. There is no way to know what color eggs she will lay based on feather color. She does have a pea comb though, so odds of a blue or green egg from her are good.

Isn't it crazy what chickens will do to you? I started out thinking I wanted a couple layers and some 'pretties' for the yard so I went for EEs, Silkies and Polish. .didn't care about bird or egg color..fast forward 2 years and I'm ready to do DNA tests on my layers and went from mutt looking Silkies to paints (and hopefully chocolate soon) and from gold laced Polish to Tolbunt and hopefully candy corn..
and that's just what I'm working towards, that doesn't count the hours and hours reading up on breeders, colors, genetics and time spent upgrading all my chicken 'facilities'.. Chicken math my foot.. more like chicken hobby to chicken lifestyle . Lol..

I recently watched a YouTube video about "The dangers of raising chickens". You start out with a couple layers and pretties, and several years later, you've added a goat and a cow, sold your house, and living off the grid, out in the boondocks somewhere!

I recently watched a YouTube video about "The dangers of raising chickens". You start out with a couple layers and pretties, and several years later, you've added a goat and a cow, sold your house, and living off the grid, out in the boondocks somewhere!

Lmao..well I started in the boonies, with horses..added the chickens..but they are slowly (ok, as fast as I can hatch them out), taking over the farm..my horses cringe when I grain them in the pasture and not their stalls bc my free range layers will run past a pile of their feed to stand on the side of the horse pan and steal food.. I tried goats, they weren't my thing..I tried ducks, they flew off with a lively wild Mallard that made her self at home here last summer..I am trying to hatch Muscovy as we speak but not holding my breath on those..
I wonder what it is about these little feathered beasts that make a semi sane person go completely bat crap? Maybe they have a secret plan to take over the world and we are playing right into their game..hehe

Lmao..well I started in the boonies, with horses..added the chickens..but they are slowly (ok, as fast as I can hatch them out), taking over the farm..my horses cringe when I grain them in the pasture and not their stalls bc my free range layers will run past a pile of their feed to stand on the side of the horse pan and steal food.. I tried goats, they weren't my thing..I tried ducks, they flew off with a lively wild Mallard that made her self at home here last summer..I am trying to hatch Muscovy as we speak but not holding my breath on those..
I wonder what it is about these little feathered beasts that make a semi sane person go completely bat crap? Maybe they have a secret plan to take over the world and we are playing right into their game..hehe

I started out with 15 Black Jersey Giants, at last count I am at over 70 with Jersey Giants, partridge Cochin , blue and black Ameraucanas, barred Rocks, and black copper Marans, and even some Easter eggers. I sold the house, living in the boondocks, converting to solar if I ever finish building chicken pens. No goat (yet), but I am thinking about a few geese.

Back
Top Bottom