Differance regarding still air and fan

PERHAPS this picture will help:

796_jam587.jpg

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

P.S. I put it where the factory fan goes. I made the baffle at the bottom from a coffee can lid. Spacer were plastic tubing (screws inside). Any questions, PM me.

I am looking at a bator I found on CL. It looks to be a LG and I thought that if it has no fan I have one that is about 4"x4" and it is 110VAC. I figure that if I get the bator I will mount the fan and use an external mounted dimmer switch to control the fan speed. Do ya think this would be a good set up?

Chicken Rustler,

In my opinion, that would be a "good set-up" and it should work very well. (I would include a home-made "baffle" to deflect the air so that it does NOT blow "directly" upon the eggs.)

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

After reading some other posts I've temporarily mounted it in that same spot, but blowing towards the roof. Hopefully that evens out the air flow. We'll see. I have 5 days before the eggs arrive to get this running smoothly.

Quote:
i think it is the amps you need to worry about. 12V and match the amps to the fan (should be labeled on fan). if you use a 10A and the fan is a 0.1A, you'll fry the fan. anything that uses a charger (phone, some lamps, portable fans, etc) you should come close to the amps. I taped the black wire to the inside hole of the plug and the red wire to the outside of the plug. Used computer parts stores sell both for~$2 each. they'll prolly even show you how to hook it up.

i learned this the hard way using a car battery charger with 12V/10A. it worked for about two hours and then i somehow fried both the fan and the charger. yeah, make sure to match the amps and don't cross the wires.

In the end i had two computer fans running off the same charger. one, pointed at teh light bulb ran all the time. a second, was pointed at the sponge/bowl so when egg pipped i was able to run it and crank up humidity quickly. prolly an overkill and one is all that i needed.

Running a 0.1A fan on a power supply capable of 10A should not cause any damage to the fan or power supply. The rating of the power supply just means that the MAX output is say 10A. The rating of the fan means how much it is going to draw. The fan pulls the amperage from the power supply. On the other hand if the fan is rated for say 6 volt and you use a 12 volt supply then the fan will run faster and over time the higher voltage will take it's toll on the fan.
12 volt DC 10amp power supply will push 12 volts to whatever is connected like the fan.
the same 12VDC 10A power supply will only deliver the amperage that is drawn from it up to 10A. So if the fan only needs 0.10A that is all that the supply will deliver.
To slow the fan you can use a variable resistor.

lemurchaser,

That should work just fine. It MIGHT increase your evaporation rate a little bit.......but you will be monitoring the humidity anyway....so IF you need to add more water.OK, I guess.

good luck with your incubating!
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom