Differance regarding still air and fan

Quote:
Are you sure? I know absolutely nothing about electricity or currents. but i've fried a computer fan (after about 6hours run time). i've no idea if it was the amps issue or if the poles were crossed when i moved it once. here is what someone told me, " I think it is correct within a margin but 10A to .1 A is too big .1 A would not provide enough resistence and burn up." here is the friend's reasoning, "rosco_, an old school car cigarette lighter deal that oyu pop in works at 12 Volts DC and 10 Amps with about 2-3 Ohms resistence..... Voltage equals current multiplied by resistence......so with 2 - 3 ohms that circuit gets hot enough to burn *&!#&*, I can guarantee a cpu fan does not have an ohm os resistence so it just gets that much hotter....that is why they no longer work with 10A powersupply"

BING - THIS IS PROLLY JUST ANOTHER VAIN EFFORT ON MY PART TO LEARN ELECTRICITY BASICS. I'D LISTEN TO "CHICKEN RUSTLER" or ANYONE OTHER THAN ME. THEY WILL PROVIDE BETTER ADVICE ON ELECTRICITY.

Resistance really doesn't figure in to the goal here. This may make it easier to understand. If we compare electricity to water voltage would = water pressure, amperage would = water volume.
It looks like what somebody is thinking is Volts X Amps (current)=Watts or Volts divided by resistance = Amps(current). If you would like to learn about this search for Ohms law or Watts law.

Quote:
Or...study for a ham radio license and learn all kinds of electrical knowledge.
smile.png

Ed

Quote:
Hi Junkman, I have the comp. fan and an old phone recharger. Please DO either post the instructions or email them to me ! I really DO need to get a fan in these 'bators if I can. I think I can get another old 'puter fan and charger set. I am hoping to set some eggs tomorrow, but plan to 'rest them' for 3 days.

Last edited:
The "factory fan" has a flat metal plate that fits on the underside of the styrofoam just "north" of the electronic controller" (thermostat) (We are assuming that you are facing North with the incubator in front of you.)

This metal plate is held by 4 screws through the styrofoam and the screws have LARGE flat washers on the topside to prevent squishing the styrofoam. (The metal plate prevents this on the "bottomside".)

You put LONG Screws through these 4 holes and the metal plate underneath (you may make you own metal plate for this).
The screws are long enough for you to put 1/2 or so "spacers" made from 1/4 inch tubing or ?. You MAY need to put flat wahers and nuts underneath the flat plate to hold it in place. AND, perhaps, more nuts to set the fan where you wish it to be.....allowing space for air-circulation.

Then you put the fan there with those long screws. (maybe more nuts.)
wink.png
(NOT Pecans or Walnuts...
big_smile.png
wink.png
lol.png
)

UNDERNEATH the fan you put 4 more "spacers" and under them the "coffee-can" buffer (that deflects the air). (This takes 4 more screws).(These screws screw into the "bottom side" of the fan ...from the bottom (baffle side).

The fan runs off of the wiring on the portable phone transformer (the part that plugs into the 110 volt "wall-outlet"). The transformer "transforms" the voltage to 12 volts AC? DC? instead of 110/120AC.

CLEAR as MUD ???

It's really quite simple and the picture shows most of it.......just look closely.

Specific questions are easily answered.

Hope this helps.........It IS "really easy",
wink.png
big_smile.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

P.S. Sorry if this explanation is confusing. It is hard to write what is seemingly simple to see........Ask about specifics, it is easier to write about.
smile.png

Thanks! I set 26 eggs today, plan to let them 'rest' until tomorrow before I turn on the turner.

Hatched 4 in the other bator today
celebrate.gif
- have 2 left but doubt they will hatch - plan to give them another 24 hours to pip before I give up on them
fl.gif
, so, will be able to try to get a fan going in it before candling day 7, and can switch them to forced air then and install a fan in the 2nd bator. SO, will be 3 or 4 days before I start installation.
wink.png
wish me luck [with both fan installation AND my new 26 egg set! ]
fl.gif
fl.gif

Quote:
I did it!!
yippiechickie.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif
I got 2 fans from my computer store, used the skinny one from a laptop as I had only one adapter. I turned it upside down to use the round well of the space as a baffle -- space is tight because of the turner -- & voila!! forced air bator for free! Picture-window Hovabator still air rescued from a school dumpster...$0.00. auto turner gifted to me from cousin ..$0.00, computer fan given by my 'puter guys .. $0.00, 12V adapter and screws/electrical tape & and little twisty things to splice wires in the junk drawer
lol.png
$0.00. Add to that, 26 free, hopefully fertile eggs and a candler made from a flashlight, a jar, marbles, detergent measuring cup, saran wrap & 2
TP rolls .. I will take it on it's maiden run tomorrow - day 7 - I'm set and in the January Hatch watch!!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks to all the great BYC tips!

Madcap, That is one great price on that forced air bator! Great work! Gotta love FREE!!

Thanks, junkmanme for the info and pic. I am going ahead with my still-to-forced air conversion now.

One question....what do I do about the vent holes? My LG came 2nd (3rd, 4th?) hand with no instructions. Should the vent holes be open or closed?

Oh, and you can post your best ideas for a cheap egg turner [and no spatula photos
smile.png
]...

Last edited:
You should also check the voltages of the AC adaptors you use to run the PC fans. I had a few test up to 5 volts higher than what was printed on the label. This could fry your fan. Just use a meter to check it. I just built a 'bator from an old cooler like some in the contest. The phone charger adapter said 9V. It puts out 13. It is running the fan since Saturday with no problems...so far.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom