Difference between a white Delaware and a white Speckled Sussex?

robbiebobbie

Songster
7 Years
Sep 6, 2014
How does one tell the difference between a white Delaware and a white Speckled Sussex? They look the same to me. I have Delaware. I was looking online and came across a white speckled sussex. When I first saw the pic, I thought it was a Delaware until I read it was a speckled sussex.

I assume you mean a regular Deleware and a light (not white or speckled) Sussex. (It is a confusing term, silver Columbian would make more sense.)
The color difference is that Delewares have the barring gene. Their stripes are broken up by more white stripes.
Also, Delewares have yellow, not white legs.
The type is also different between these breeds, though in hatchery birds you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

I assume you mean a regular Deleware and a light (not white or speckled) Sussex. (It is a confusing term, silver Columbian would make more sense.)
The color difference is that Delewares have the barring gene. Their stripes are broken up by more white stripes.
Also, Delewares have yellow, not white legs.
The type is also different between these breeds, though in hatchery birds you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.
Thank you. I did not know this. I will be checking all of my Delawares. What did you mean by your last sentence? I don't understand what that means. Thanks

Thank you. I did not know this. I will be checking all of my Delawares. What did you mean by your last sentence? I don't understand what that means. Thanks
“Type” means the shape of the bird, like how Cochins are round and Modern Games are tall and skinny.
Delaware hens have a back that is more horizontal but the cushion kind of leads up to a 30 degree tail.
In Sussex it is more of a long flattened U shape because the back slants slightly and goes into a 35 degree tail. Sussex combs are smaller and they are 1/2 pound heavier. All differences, but only noticeable in exceptionally good specimens.

Back
Top Bottom