Difference between bronze and double breasted bronze turkeys?

JosieChick

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Lyman, ME
I bought 4 turkey poults in the spring at the feed store because DH wanted Thanksgiving dinner. The bin was labeled bronze turkey poults. I have gotten quite attached to the little boogers but I am now concerned that they are double breasted and won't be able to survive as pets on the farm. How do I tell the difference between bronze and double breasted bronze?

They are quite the avid free rangers and get a ton of exercise. They are getting big and are about 4 months old but I don't feel like they look huge to me. I guess I am comparing them to a cornish cross in my mind and they don't seem overly huge for their age but this is my first turkey experience. Please help me determine if they are double breasted or not. I can post pics tomorrow if that helps.
big_smile.png

I looked it up the hatchery and they only carry broad breasted turkeys. Does this mean they won't be able to survive? I don't want them to suffer but they are my buddies and so friendly. I carry them around and when they see me come out in the yard they all come running with their wings open to greet me. Anyone able to give these birds a decent life or is the most humane thing to butcher and if so at what age?
idunno.gif

The humane thing to do is butcher at the proper age 18 to 24 weeks,If let go to long they will have joint pain, possible broken bones, organ failure and difficulty walking. I have heard of people restricting their diet to reduce weight gain to keep them a little longer, But these guys really like to eat, its what they live for. I'm treating my birds with as much respect and kindness as I can. I feed them as much as they want to eat. They will live a very good life and it will end as intended for this breed.
I am going after a heritage breed this fall or next spring, These guys are my first turkeys, and I like them. I think I'll get a breeding trio. I saw there is a bronze unimproved that can breed naturally, but they are rare. Only one breeder has them in the USA. I'm going to call them and see what they cost. If they are to much I'm going with the Bourbon reds

Thanks, I just bought 4 royal palm poults because I have enjoyed these guys so much. They free range all day and are very lean birds in my opinion so I guess I will just let them run until they are getting out of steam. They are 14 weeks now and don't seem that big to me? Unless they have an enormous growth spurt it seems like they would dress out to pretty small birds at 18-24 weeks? I never knew turkeys would be so friendly and easy to handle! They are the social butterflies of the yard. They are excellent foragers too, they hardly eat any feed when they are up in the evening. They are all over the yard, chasing bugs and in the tall grass.

Thanks for your help!

I know how you feel. I got the BBB because they are short lived. I wasn't sure I would like raising turkeys. Turns out, I like them better than my chickens. They are so mellow, easy going guys. Kind of reminds me of the "stoned surfer dude".Evey time they come running for a treat I hear them yelling, "Righteous, Oh, Righteous Man. They are also very curious. I wouldn't be surprised if I see one in the house one day. They follow me everywhere. I just have to keep it in my mind that these guys are food. I named them to remind me of this. One is Christmas, One is Thanksgiving (TG), One is New years day (NYD), and the last one I call LunchBox.
From what Ive read and seen, at 24 to 28 weeks a BBB Tom will weigh in excess of 40lbs. the hens around 30. I saw one on the news that was a rescued Tom 1 and a half years old that weighed 85lbs. He could barely walk. I don't have an oven that will accommodate a 40lb. bird. I'm thinking about 20 weeks.
Royal Palms are very pretty. I hope they do well for you.

You will possibly be able to keep them, and you are setting them up perfectly if you want to. If they get exercise and aren't just parked in front of the feeder, they can do pretty good. I have a 2 year old hen and a yearling that are Broad Breasted White. The yearling can still fly up to perch on a low roost, the older one doesn't try. I had an almost one year old BBB hen a year ago but in January the turkey barn roof collapsed under heavy snow and she broke her leg. Exercise and free ranging slow their growth down at a time when they would be normally packing on the weight which really helps them in the long run. If I recall one person here processed one at 5 or 6 months old and it dressed at 47 pounds. I processed one that was a year and a half old and he went at 36 pounds. He didn't have problems.

I know how you feel. I got the BBB because they are short lived. I wasn't sure I would like raising turkeys. Turns out, I like them better than my chickens. They are so mellow, easy going guys. Kind of reminds me of the "stoned surfer dude".Evey time they come running for a treat I hear them yelling, "Righteous, Oh, Righteous Man.
Hahahaha!!
lau.gif
They are like stoned surfer dudes!! I just love them, they are ridiculous. Mine are obsessed with our water hydrant by the barn so everytime I turn it on they come running to drink from the puddle and stick their heads under the stream of water! Funniest birds, way friendlier than the chickens. I am excited for my royal palms, they are very sweet and have done great so far.

Frosty- Thanks for the input! I would like to keep them around for as long as possible. They run all over hill and dill right now. I am surprised at how active they are and LOVE to forage. They don't eat much from the feeders, mostly what they get free ranging during the day. They fly up to the highest perches we have and are all over everything in the barnyard. Silly birds. I guess I am a silly girl, falling in love with my silly turkeys that were supposed to be Thanksgiving dinner....

Not silly at all... turkeys are addictive! To have any for turkey day I have to get a bunch that all look alike so I don't get attached. Even then, I hate to do the deed. The actual 'dispatching' is the hardest part for me.

It is not at all uncommon for me to just feed them once a week to remind them where they live and let them forage for the rest. Of course I keep catching them to check and make sure they are getting enough to eat... If you have any grapes growing there and want to have any for yourself, you'll have to make sure the turkeys can't get to them or the grapes will be gone in no time. The same goes for any apples they can reach. At 5 months old my BB turkeys can and will fly up onto a 6 foot fence to roost.

Enjoy your turkeys!

Back
Top Bottom