Difference between pekins and cochins?

The differences are the standard of perfection they are bred to.
In Britain and Australia we consider the Pekin Bantam to be a true bantam breed with no large counter-part and have a standard of perfection strictly for the Pekin Bantam that has no relation to the standards for LF Cochin. Elsewhere such as in the US they are considered a bantam version of the LF Cochin and have a different standard of perfection, I believe to mimic the LF Cochin, only miniaturized

The differences are the standard of perfection they are bred to.
In Britain and Australia we consider the Pekin Bantam to be a true bantam breed with no large counter-part and have a standard of perfection strictly for the Pekin Bantam that has no relation to the standards for LF Cochin. Elsewhere such as in the US they are considered a bantam version of the LF Cochin and have a different standard of perfection, I believe to mimic the LF Cochin, only miniaturized
But what in the standards is different?
In the UK we have LF cochins and true bantam pekins, so I was wondering what in the standards made them a different breed.

I have heard they are different put I was wondering how they are different?
I know I am late, but I can tell you some history about the Cochins and Pekins in China.

According to Baidu; the Cochins or in Chinese known as (九斤黄鸡: The 10 lbs Yellow Chicken) are actually a few different varieties of chickens. In China any breed of chicken (hens) and capons weighing about 10 lbs and is yellow or buff in color will be categoried as cochin or the 10 lbs yellow chicken.
Note* Co meaning 9 and chin a Chinese weight measurement.
Actual Cochins chicken breeds in China has NO leg feathers. The most well known are the 浦东鸡 Pudong Chicken. Pudong is a place in China and where the modern Shanghai airport is located. In the 1860's it was a fishing village where foreigners like the British and French would land and resupply. When the British landed in Pudong the interpreters they brought with them, which were Cantonese had somehow told the British that all the chickens are Cochins (referring to the weight of the chickens). The 浦东鸡 Pudong Chicken is a red bird the roosters are known to be docile and hens are good layers. They might have contributed their genes to the Cochins we know of today. During WWII the Japanese has nearly wiped out all the Pudong chickens with only pockets surviving today; therefore in China they are categorized as Near Extinction.
*Note: because of China's different dialects Cochin is actually the literal Cantonese translation of 九斤. In Mandarin it would be Jiu Jin = 4.5kg.

The Standard/Giant Cochins that we know of today are known as 北京断脚鸡 (Beijing Short Legged Chickens) in China. They are called short legged because of their feather foot. They have existed since the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and were raised as companions for palace dogs such as the Pekingese and Shih Tzus. In the 1860's when the British and French armies sacked and razed The Old Summer Palace in Beijing; they selected a few birds and along with their dog companions to be shipped back to Britain and given to Queen Victoria. Whatever dogs and chickens they couldn't take were slaughtered and burned. The birds selected were called Cochins (because of their weight by the British's Cantonese interpreters).

In China, the Pekins are actually what we call the Cochin Bantams in the western world today. They were developed from the runts of the standard types crossed with a bantam chicken from Guizhou and were usually raised as shooting targets and game birds for the nobles. Because they were discovered in Beijing hence the name. (Peking is the Cantonese way of saying Beijing).
Baidu Reference for Cochins

I know I am late, but I can tell you some history about the Cochins and Pekins in China.

According to Baidu; the Cochins or in Chinese known as (九斤黄鸡: The 10 lbs Yellow Chicken) are actually a few different varieties of chickens. In China any breed of chicken (hens) and capons weighing about 10 lbs and is yellow or buff in color will be categoried as cochin or the 10 lbs yellow chicken.
Actual Cochins chicken breeds in China has NO leg feathers. The most well known are the 浦东鸡 Pudong Chicken. Pudong is a place in China and where the modern Shanghai airport is located. In the 1860's it was a fishing village where foreigners like the British and French would land and resupply. When the British landed in Pudong the interpreters they brought with them, which were Cantonese had somehow told the British that all the chickens are Cochins (referring to the weight of the chickens). The 浦东鸡 Pudong Chicken is a red bird the roosters are known to be docile and hens are good layers. They might have contributed their genes to the Cochins we know of today. During WWII the Japanese has nearly wiped out all the Pudong chickens with only pockets surviving today; therefore in China they are categorized as Near Extinction.
*Note: because of China's different dialects Cochin is actually the literal Cantonese translation of 九斤. In Mandarin it would be Jiu Jin = 4.5kg.

The Standard/Giant Cochins that we know of today are known as 北京断脚鸡 (Beijing Short Legged Chickens) in China. They are called short legged because of their feather foot. They have existed since the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and were raised as companions for palace dogs such as the Pekingese and Shih Tzus. In the 1860's when the British and French armies sacked and razed The Old Summer Palace in Beijing; they selected a few birds and along with their dog companions to be shipped back to Britain and given to Queen Victoria. Whatever dogs and chickens they couldn't take were slaughtered and burned. The birds selected were called Cochins (because of their weight by the British's Cantonese interpreters).

In China, the Pekins are actually what we call the Cochin Bantams in the western world today. They were developed from the runts of the standard types crossed with a bantam chicken from Guizhou and were usually raised as shooting targets and game birds for the nobles. Because they were discovered in Beijing hence the name. (Peking is the Cantonese way of saying Beijing).
Thank you that was very interesting

Thank you for the information! I find that very interesting!!

Back
Top Bottom