Difference between Silver pied and Dark pied?

Pratik1234

Songster
Mar 1, 2018
I tried to look up on silverpied birds but couldn’t get the straight answer or their genetic explanation, Has anybody had experience with them? What’s the difference between these two? How Can you figure out the difference? Anybody has any pics of their birds?

And what would they make if you put them with (IB, IBpied, or IBPWE male)?

Silver pied an Dark Silver pied are pattern .They can exist in the 19 colors.
Here are the BLUE Silver pied:
Silver Pied X Silver Pied = 25% White; 25% Dark Silver Pied White Eyed; 50% Silver Pied,
Dark SP = dark !

dark sp 1.jpg
dark sp 2.jpg
dqrk sp.jpg

This one is not pure .... some spalding blood (wings black/green).
As you can see ... the CORNER of the wing is white.
You can see some ' silvering' ... fading of the barred wings.

Here is a couple of Blue Silver pied :

IMG_5736.JPG

10% color and 90% white.
If one of the parents is Silver pied crossed with a white or a pied it gives silver pied or very white pied.
Problem .... they are white-eyed!
To get very white pied peacocks don't go through the silver pied because the eyes will be white or half-white.

Silver pied an Dark Silver pied are pattern .They can exist in the 19 colors.
Here are the BLUE Silver pied:
Silver Pied X Silver Pied = 25% White; 25% Dark Silver Pied White Eyed; 50% Silver Pied,
Dark SP = dark !

View attachment 1346144 View attachment 1346145 View attachment 1346146
This one is not pure .... some spalding blood (wings black/green).
As you can see ... the CORNER of the wing is white.
You can see some ' silvering' ... fading of the barred wings.

Here is a couple of Blue Silver pied :

View attachment 1346150

10% color and 90% white.
If one of the parents is Silver pied crossed with a white or a pied it gives silver pied or very white pied.
Problem .... they are white-eyed!
To get very white pied peacocks don't go through the silver pied because the eyes will be white or half-white.

Thanks for the information Danny

But I saw this article on internet and it said

0945DE51-6203-41C6-8C3E-D354F66D98F3.jpeg
ADBA8776-EA25-404D-9287-EEF6B5FC95E6.jpeg

“The bird shown above is a Dark India Blue Silver Pied White Eyed hen, which is illustrated by her primarily India Blue coloring, with small amounts of white showing in each wing, a small white patch on her throat latch, and the white tipped feathers on her back. If this was a male, the white would show up in the same areas. This bird shows characteristics of a white eyed hen, since she is produced from silver pied parents”

My question is how can I make a difference between a regular IBWE and IBDSPWE hen? Is there any way to tell by their looks, pattern or shade?

Your internet pics are visually just an IBWE, and most likely just a single factor WE, unless you know the parents then it could be an IBDSP. Mind you that a Dark Pied does not necessarily have to show any white at all, you only need to know the parents or the offspring. A lot of confusion comes when people do not describe birds in the proper format. India Blue or Spaulding should come first followed by the color and then the pattern then list splits in the same order. Example; India Blue Pied White Eye split Cameo, Black Shoulder, Silver Pied = IB Pied WE / Cameo/BS/SP Good recordkeeping is very important and the least maintained part of most peoples priorities.

Your internet pics are visually just an IBWE, and most likely just a single factor WE, unless you know the parents then it could be an IBDSP. Mind you that a Dark Pied does not necessarily have to show any white at all, you only need to know the parents or the offspring. A lot of confusion comes when people do not describe birds in the proper format. India Blue or Spaulding should come first followed by the color and then the pattern then list splits in the same order. Example; India Blue Pied White Eye split Cameo, Black Shoulder, Silver Pied = IB Pied WE / Cameo/BS/SP Good recordkeeping is very important and the least maintained part of most peoples priorities.
My internet pic came from Hopkins website. The website has good information but I’m not sure if it’s updated since they have posted that article. I’m sure there are many experienced breeders like you who know more about the recent changes that has happened in the peafowl genetics. Because they didn’t mention everything about silver pied pattern on the website.
I would like to see how a regular India Blue Dark silverpied would look compared to India blue pied white eye hens.

I don't believe there are still breeders who make the real WE ... all are byproducts of Silver pied.
The Hopkins website articles date from when ...? the photos date from when ...? everything has evolved!
If anyone had the good idea to develop this type of WE! ... that would be good news!

white eyes 1.jpg

My internet pic came from Hopkins website. The website has good information but I’m not sure if it’s updated since they have posted that article. I’m sure there are many experienced breeders like you who know more about the recent changes that has happened in the peafowl genetics. Because they didn’t mention everything about silver pied pattern on the website.
I would like to see how a regular India Blue Dark silverpied would look compared to India blue pied white eye hens.

Sometimes my replies are not quite definitive enough, I was not disputing Hopkins information but saying that when you look at a bird and not know anything about the background you can only assume from what you can see. Knowing the parents makes it easier to define the genetics.

Yearling IB Dark Silver Pied split Opal cock.
IMG_1079.JPG
The hen below the Bronze BSWE cock is a Dark Silver Pied.
IMG_4058.JPG

Another view of her on the right.
IMG_4059.JPG
A pair of IBDSP split Opal hens out of an Opal SP cock, sisters to the above cock.
IMG_3902.JPG

Last edited:
Sometimes my replies are not quite definitive enough, I was not disputing Hopkins information but saying that when you look at a bird and not know anything about the background you can only assume from what you can see. Knowing the parents makes it easier to define the genetics.

Yearling Opal Dark Silver Pied cock.
View attachment 1347561 The hen below the Bronze BSWE cock is a Dark Silver Pied.
View attachment 1347568
Another view of her on the right.
View attachment 1347569 A pair of IBDSP split Opal hens out of an Opal SP cock, sisters to the above cock.
View attachment 1347578
Got you thank you again for sharing your knowledge. The last pic helped understanding better about IBDSP!
Really appreciate it
All your birds are very beautiful and healthy! Always surprises me.

I don't believe there are still breeders who make the real WE ... all are byproducts of Silver pied.
The Hopkins website articles date from when ...? the photos date from when ...? everything has evolved!
If anyone had the good idea to develop this type of WE! ... that would be good news!

View attachment 1346683
From my understanding
Maybe use selective Double Factor White Eye birds to get this result!
If both the parents are double factor white eyes they should be able to produce this type of white eyed bird!

The picture of Hopkins is an old photo! at the time it was the best birds we had.
Why today there are more birds with lots of white eyes and very visible from an early age ... it's not just a question of double factors ... something has changed!

Back
Top Bottom