1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Difference in barred breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mary Of Exeter, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I was looking around at some barred birds and started to wonder, how exactly you tell the breeds apart. Everyone around here assumes all black/white barred or cuckoo birds are 'Dominick(er)s' or 'Dommernick(er)s' (or any other incorrect way you can think to pronounce it!). And I know ALL these birds can't be Dominiques.
    So just how do you tell them apart?

Barred Plymouth Rocks, Dominiques, Black Sex-link roos, and Barred Hollands, are the main ones that pop in my head. They all look the same to me! [​IMG] Except I believe one isn't single combed? Help!

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Each breed has certain traits, as well as certain shape & size, which are unique to that particular breed.
    Having the correct shape & size is more important & representative of the breed than the actual colour.

If you look at photos of exhibition examples of the birds you mentioned you will probably see the differences.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    barred is just a modifier... most breeds can have the gene and shown if it's in the standard...

much like blue bar + S in any breed of pigeons.. [​IMG]

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Dominiques have yellow legs with a dark wash up the front like a barred rock, I think. They are thick-bodied with a rose comb. They lay brown eggs.

Barred rocks have yellow legs with a dark wash, a single comb, and a full, thick body. They lay tinted eggs.

Barred hollands are built more like a leghorn, with a thinner build and a single comb. I think they have white earlobes and lay white eggs.

Cuckoo marans aren't barred, but a cuckoo pattern. It just means their barring isn't distinct, but more blurred, I think. They have a full body, similar to a barred rock, I think, with white legs.

Barred cochins are obvious, with their really feathery feet and legs.

Black sex-link cockerels often have red in some of their feathers, and their barring isn't as distinct as a barred rock male.

That might not all be exactly correct, but that's the general gist of it. The only barred birds I've had are barred rocks.

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Thank you, just what I was looking for [​IMG]
    I know Barred is only a color/modifier and can occure in several breeds. But the most common breeds that are barred, like the ones I mentioned, I was just looking for some key things to look for besides the bars to tell them apart. My main concern was Barred Rocks vs. Sex-links.
    Anyways, thanks for the info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by