Difference in barred breeds?

Mary Of Exeter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Rowan County, NC
I was looking around at some barred birds and started to wonder, how exactly you tell the breeds apart. Everyone around here assumes all black/white barred or cuckoo birds are 'Dominick(er)s' or 'Dommernick(er)s' (or any other incorrect way you can think to pronounce it!). And I know ALL these birds can't be Dominiques.
So just how do you tell them apart?

Barred Plymouth Rocks, Dominiques, Black Sex-link roos, and Barred Hollands, are the main ones that pop in my head. They all look the same to me!
th.gif
Except I believe one isn't single combed? Help!

Each breed has certain traits, as well as certain shape & size, which are unique to that particular breed.
Having the correct shape & size is more important & representative of the breed than the actual colour.

If you look at photos of exhibition examples of the birds you mentioned you will probably see the differences.

barred is just a modifier... most breeds can have the gene and shown if it's in the standard...

much like blue bar + S in any breed of pigeons..
big_smile.png

Dominiques have yellow legs with a dark wash up the front like a barred rock, I think. They are thick-bodied with a rose comb. They lay brown eggs.

Barred rocks have yellow legs with a dark wash, a single comb, and a full, thick body. They lay tinted eggs.

Barred hollands are built more like a leghorn, with a thinner build and a single comb. I think they have white earlobes and lay white eggs.

Cuckoo marans aren't barred, but a cuckoo pattern. It just means their barring isn't distinct, but more blurred, I think. They have a full body, similar to a barred rock, I think, with white legs.

Barred cochins are obvious, with their really feathery feet and legs.

Black sex-link cockerels often have red in some of their feathers, and their barring isn't as distinct as a barred rock male.

That might not all be exactly correct, but that's the general gist of it. The only barred birds I've had are barred rocks.

Thank you, just what I was looking for
smile.png

I know Barred is only a color/modifier and can occure in several breeds. But the most common breeds that are barred, like the ones I mentioned, I was just looking for some key things to look for besides the bars to tell them apart. My main concern was Barred Rocks vs. Sex-links.
Anyways, thanks for the info
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom