Difference in $ male and female Cornish X

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
I am ordering some Cornish cross birds for my freezer. There is what seems to me a funny price difference.

The males are the most expensive, the straight run the next and the all female is the cheapest. So do the females grow a bit slower, or don't get as big, or is there another downfall I am not seeing. I never paid attention in the past, just ordered straight run, as I didn't plan on doing anything with these birds but eating them.

MRs K

Ok good, thought that might be it. Not a big deal to me.

Now I should be able to raise these up with my broody hen, after two weeks, I will pull them off and put them in the grow out pen.

Yep, the boys grow faster than the girls, but the pullets eat less and you can grow them out a lot longer than the cockerels, so it's six of one, half a dozen of another to me. One added benefit I find with all female meat birds is that the flock is 10X calmer, quieter and more orderly than a straight run batch.

Yep, the boys grow faster than the girls, but the pullets eat less and you can grow them out a lot longer than the cockerels, so it's six of one, half a dozen of another to me. One added benefit I find with all female meat birds is that the flock is 10X calmer, quieter and more orderly than a straight run batch.
Depending on if you're just raising for yourself or selling to others having one gender is also nice for consistent sizing if selling.

Back
Top Bottom