1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Difference in when Bantams start laying (vs. standards) ????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arwmommy, Jul 11, 2007.

1. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Hey everyone,
    Is there a difference at what age bantams start laying vs. standards??

I am just wondering if I should start them on layer feed and put the nest boxes in at 18 weeks (as with standards) or if I should start earlier or later????

Any thoughts on this? (I swear I did the search since every newbie asks about it for their chickens [​IMG] but there was nothing specific to bantams-- I swear!)

2. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    I've got bantams (cochins and brahmas), and they start laying last week at the tender age of 17 weeks. This was about a month earlier than I had expected. I started them on layer crumbles a couple weeks ago. And their nest boxes had been installed several weeks before that. I think it's safe to start them on layer food at 3-4 months of age. As far as I know, the age at which a pullet lays its first egg depends more on health and breed, than whether they are bantams or standards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by