Differences between Cuckoo Marans and Barred Rock? Help appreciated!

MA Mama

Songster
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
MA
I am relatively new to chickens and I have yet to master the nuances between chicken breeds. I am going to buy some Cuckoo Marans tommorrow, and I know they also have Barred Rocks for sale. How can I make sure I am getting the Marans versus the Barred Rocks? They are already laying hens. Thanks!

Rocks have yellow legs, Marans have white.

Going to Westford? I'll be there too, but I have Faverolles. Have fun!

OHHHH I WISH I was going! I didn't realize how far away it is. I am in southeastern MA, it would be like 2 hours for me. I always wanted a faverolle!

Also, the Cuckoos should have feathered legs, some may not. The BR barring will be much more crisp and distinct, whereas the Cuckoo barring will look smudgy and uneven in comparison. Also, you might want to ask to see the Cuckoo's egg color so you know what to expect. They should be much darker than the BR, but then again, depending on the quality of his stock, they may look the same. Good luck!

Too late - got them this morning and the legs are not feathered! They are white, though. Oh well, live and learn.

Are they hatchery birds? I know at least Ideal has both feather legged and clean legged Marans. I had some a few years ago. Their eggs certainly weren't as dark as the breeder birds but they were darker than the average brown egg.

Are they hatchery birds? I know at least Ideal has both feather legged and clean legged Marans. I had some a few years ago. Their eggs certainly weren't as dark as the breeder birds but they were darker than the average brown egg.
She said they were McMurray.

Back
Top Bottom