Differences EE, Ameraucana, & Araucana * Pls post pics*

Pics
Quote: Lol.. I know I know it is confusing. "wheaten" is the operative word (color of wheat). The only blue will be on the ends of the wings and tail feathers. The word blue is used because regular "wheaten" have black tips on their wings, etc. instead of the paler blue color.

There are "blue" ameraucanas that look much more blue. If you go the the ameraucana breeders club site you can find a list of breeders that can get you the real deal if your heart is set on pure bred ameraucanas. Easter eggers are awesome too! lol

Lol.. I know I know it is confusing. "wheaten" is the operative word (color of wheat). The only blue will be on the ends of the wings and tail feathers. The word blue is used because regular "wheaten" have black tips on their wings, etc. instead of the paler blue color.

There are "blue" ameraucanas that look much more blue. If you go the the ameraucana breeders club site you can find a list of breeders that can get you the real deal if your heart is set on pure bred ameraucanas. Easter eggers are awesome too! lol

I agree, EE's are awesome. I love how so many end up so different, then lay that beautiful egg. That is a pretty little EE!

Last edited:
I was told by a well respected poultry judge that my two white EEs are very close to a full Ameraucana except that their legs are the wrong colour.
_MG_1132.jpg
_MG_1274.jpg
_MG_1105.jpg
_MG_9174.jpg
I'm going to try to breed the correct coloured legs to their offspring - as the judge suggested. My rooster has slate legs, but his feathers are classic EE. I'm going to try to breed towards a flock of white. I know there will be something in the past that is not 'pure' but I hope I can do something with them. Even EEs are rare in New Brunswick (Canada) - we don't have hatcheries that ship across the country like in the US. They have to be imported. Judge is Jamie Carson - Been doing this for 30 years. He is currently working on a bantam Ameraucana project of his own.

Those birds have yellow beaks which is an indication they have yellow skin also. In your breeding project as you select future offsprings for blue/slate legs, beards, muffs, blue eggs, you should also select for 'horn' colored beaks (near white) and white skin. Also, pea combs.

wow............so much confusion, Im trying to get it all straight.
there are 3 or more things going on.

Araucanas are rumpless no muff or beard, but have a tuft. pure bred

Ameraucana are a recognized breed they have to fall into specific colors, have muffs and beards.
BUT even as pure breeds if they have are the wrong color or by crossing within the breed into
the different color crosses become classified as easter eggers.(even though not a true mutt)

Easter Eggers (Americanas) NO AU, (deceptive) Are a mutt who usually have the same type as the
ameraucanas,in fact can be from two Ameruacana parents. Some dont have to have beards or muffs
and often have other breeds mixed in.

Do I have this correct?

wow............so much confusion, Im trying to get it all straight. there are 3 or more things going on. Araucanas are rumpless no muff or beard, but have a tuft. pure bred Ameraucana are a recognized breed they have to fall into specific colors, have muffs and beards. BUT even as pure breeds if they have are the wrong color or by crossing within the breed into the different color crosses become classified as easter eggers.(even though not a true mutt) Easter Eggers (Americanas) NO AU, (deceptive) Are a mutt who usually have the same type as the ameraucanas,in fact can be from two Ameruacana parents. Some dont have to have beards or muffs and often have other breeds mixed in. Do I have this correct?
yup

smile.png

I have five little EEs, 7 wks., (know four are pullets and think the fifth one is too). Most are wheaten, but the one I'm not certain of sex is pure white (it was a free extra when I purchased the other four...McMurray stock) - the white one has pure willow shanks and feet, while the wheaten's shanks vary...two slate, one mostly willow but seems to be darkening, and one with slate color on the fronts of the shanks and willow on the back (gold head below...I think!)! Knowing shank and foot color are related to egg color, I'm wondering what color eggs that last one will lay?!...maybe a gradient?!!...that'd be different huh?!

Those birds have yellow beaks which is an indication they have yellow skin also. In your breeding project as you select future offsprings for blue/slate legs, beards, muffs, blue eggs, you should also select for 'horn' colored beaks (near white) and white skin. Also, pea combs.
Didn't even see this - yes they do have yellow in them. My male does not.
_MG_0303.jpg
But he is classic EE colouring. We'll see what the two will produce. EEs are fine by me! She has started laying the most brilliant blue eggs :love
428943_4401102465141_231437257_n.jpg

Thank you for the helpful info on this thread! I am a beginning chicken farmer/hoarder and we have a lot of EE's, and now I won't sound dumb calling them Ameraucanas or Araucanas anymore!

Back
Top Bottom