Different Aged Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jarcoo0153, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    My question is: Can I put 1.5 week old ducklings with 2 day old ducklings?

2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Songster

Feb 5, 2011
    Bad idea. The older ones will go after the younger ones. Wait until they are older and slowly introduce them to each other. I would try when they are 2 and 3 weeks old. Perhaps with a divided pen for a while so they can see each other.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I agree...sort of...

The older duckling would probably love the company and shouldn't bother the younger ones. You could put them together and see how they act, if the bigger one is picking on the little ones then take it away and wait until they are closer in size.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have to combine different aged ducklings in brooders all the time- 6- 9 days is the difference I have between different groups that are mixed. But I wouldnt generally combine ducklings that have 2 weeks age difference until the younger group was at least 4 weeks old. I always give the youngest a few days on their own before mixing them though to ensure they are strong enough after hatching. It depends a lot on the numbers you have of each as well. 1 younger duckling in with a group of ten older may be a problem - but if the ratio is ore even you are less likely to see issues. Most recently I put a 2 day old crested duckling in with 3 Runners that were already 3 weeks old- Not something I would normally do - But I only purchased the single duckling- and the Runners were the youngest group I had while taking a few weeks off incubating. It has worked out fine. The little one looked so tiny next to the upright Runners- but was never picked on or had issues with the older ones.

5. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I was wondering the same. I have 10 new ducks shipping tomorrow and 4 ducks that are 2 weeks old today.

6. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I've got three baby chicks, and I tried to mix them with the ducks, and they chased the ducks and the ducks are scared of them. I think I try it and see how they act. I can always take them out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: