1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Different aged pullets synchronized their first eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azygous, Dec 28, 2010.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Last summer I raised two different batches of chicks six weeks apart. Of the four older pullets, two are EE's, and out of the younger batch of three, one is an EE.

The first EE's are seven months old now, and I thought they'd never start laying! Then I started to suspect that they might be waiting for the younger one to catch up. And it appears that's exactly what's happened. Within days of each other, all three have laid their first olive-green eggs!

Only one of the older group of four has been laying, a GLWyandotte, for several weeks already. The others are slow-to-mature breeds, a Cochin and two Brahmas, so they may take a little while longer.

But I find it very interesting that all of the EE's have synchronized their egg debuts despite the different ages! Has anyone ever seen this happen?

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Yep, seen it twice this year, 2 EEs and a cochin all different ages started laying same day just a couple days after upping lighting. Then 2 silkies not even from same clutch started just last week either same day or one day after the other.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have a dumb question. What is an EE? I am new at raising chickens. Have RIR and a mystery rooster. Working on finding out what he is. [​IMG]

4. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Quote:I believe EE stands for Easter Egger.

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by