Different answers on chick grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kkkkatie, May 17, 2008.

1. kkkkatie

kkkkatie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2008
    CT
    Can anyone share what they've read on chick grit? I have some, and I think my Storey's said to start sprinkling it in at 1 week. None of my other books mention it. I just found another source online that says if you feed starter crumbles exclusively, then you don't need grit. My chicks are 4 days old eating starter crumbles. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

They really don't need the grit yet, since you are feeding the chick starter. They need grit once you introduce other things to their diet, like veggies or fruit (unless they free range and are able to get to grit themselves).

3. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Just my two cents since I'm very new to raising chicks.

Even though they don't need it, I "salt" their chick feed with grit It was recommended by the hatchery (Mt. Healthy), and the little 4 wk old vultures are thriving. I also add acv (apple cider vinegar) to their water and feed a small amount of active culture plain yogurt mixed with their crumble to aid in maintaining digestive tract health and as a little treat.

I'm probably doing wrong, but as long as they are healthy and thriving.....[​IMG]

4. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I give my chicks a little ever night. They just love it and I don't think it will hurt them. [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't feed grit until they are eating veggies or fruit either...chick starter is all they need...once they start free ranging or have dirt runs they do not need it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by