Different Barnevelder Coloring

Skibum

Songster
May 6, 2022
Hello!!! My chicks are approaching 2 months old. I ordered some mystery chicks as well as two Cream Crested Legbars. I had to ask the hatchery about Genevieve because I couldn’t place her with the breeds they offer. Turns out she’s a Barnevelder. The color they offer is a double silver laced Barnevelder. This chicken is obviously showing different colors. I’m not upset about it I’m just curious what you would call her coloring because she doesn’t really match any pictures I’ve seen online. I also added pics of one of my double silver laces whose coloring is coming in beautifully (imo)
6B19AC9B-8343-483F-A7C4-76AE6FAC285B.jpeg
7CC70012-7D54-4EC4-A3AA-CA4D7D88A186.jpeg
307CB384-997B-4BA6-880B-D6A87B561D96.jpeg
28B3AC91-8EF9-4E66-8E85-1F8B9F0013C7.jpeg

She's certainly not a Barnevelder. Even her leg color is different. What breeder is she from? Can I see a list of breeds they carry?
Yes I noticed that too. Her legs are more gray than yellow. They are from feather liver farms (I know now that backyardchickens in general does not really recommend them but I got 9 healthy chickens when I paid for 7 so getting a mutt as an extra doesn’t have me super upset…)

Yes I noticed that too. Her legs are more gray than yellow. They are from feather liver farms (I know now that backyardchickens in general does not really recommend them but I got 9 healthy chickens when I paid for 7 so getting a mutt as an extra doesn’t have me super upset…)
Best guess I have is that a Silver Onagadori hopped a fence. Would explain silver legs and her variety being almost silver duckwing. Body type wise she is closer to Barnevelder. Either way, she's a pretty mix! My other guess would be Ayam Ketawa mix.

69614902-9F82-46A7-82CC-7CBF165AA0E6.jpeg
3490E2F9-1D3C-49C5-9EB6-D076F4A7B7D4.jpeg
7FF2CA60-4D74-461F-A1BA-9B36699F6706.jpeg

Here are some baby pictures if that might help. She had a similar pattern on her head as my other Barnevelders, but obviously a much muted coloring.

Best guess I have is that a Silver Onagadori hopped a fence. Would explain silver legs and her variety being almost silver duckwing. Body type wise she is closer to Barnevelder. Either way, she's a pretty mix! My other guess would be Ayam Ketawa mix.
Thank you for taking the time to check it out for me 😊

Have you sent a recent picture to them showing the legs? I'm very curious what the breeder would say in response to that! She's gorgeous whatever she is. Definitely a special bird!
No they told me she was a Barnevelder based on the baby pictures I added later but I could email them again. Is there any chance in your mind that she could be mixed with a Lavender Maran? I can email them again and see what they say.

No they told me she was a Barnevelder based on the baby pictures I added later but I could email them again. Is there any chance in your mind that she could be mixed with a Lavender Maran? I can email them again and see what they say.
If it were mixed with a Lavender Marans, it would just be a plain black chick. :) Lavender just dilutes black and two copies are required to have any visual effect. Any chick from a mix of Marans would look black and carry one copy of a hidden lavender gene! I would be very curious what their thoughts are! She did definitely look like a Barnevelder when young so I see why they said that :)

Back
Top Bottom