different breeds coexisting?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clarence t, Jul 6, 2010.

1. clarence t

clarence t New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    new back yard chicken owner.... thinking about getting 8 chicks, all different breeds, will they co-exist together rhode island red, barred plymouth rock, black sumatra, speckled sussex, australorp, buff orpington, wyandotte, buff chantecler

2. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    You betcha! You shouldnt have any problems especially if you start them all at once from day old chicks! Good luck and enjoy!

3. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I have 6 different breeds - no problems at all...in fact just had 2 hens hatch out eggs I bought from someone else - so they will even raise different breeds!

4. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I have many different breeds and they all live together happy most of the time

5. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    oh that sounds like a dream team!!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Right now in the brooder I have easter eggers, silkies, speckled sussex, salmon faverolles and cornish Xs (meat birds). Everyone is doing fine.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I deliberately created my flock out of different breeds. I love the variety of looks, personalities, sounds, and different colored eggs.

What isn't in my signature are the newest chicks added: 2 white EEs, a Black Jersey Giant, and a golden laced cochin, all about 3+ weeks old. More variety! I love a colorful flock.

8. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    Mine are all different breeds too. I love being able to tell them apart at a glance. All different personalities and temperaments. Not sure if most of that's the breed or the chance of it all. I guess it wouldn't be a good idea if you were interested in having a rooster and breeding chicks to sell though if others wanted pure breds. I'm just interested in the eggs and the fun, so it works for me!

9. Treegod

Treegod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Catalonia, Spain
    My flock doesn't know what breeds are... (or maybe that's just me [​IMG] )

I think only one or two are pure bred somethings (one I know the name of, the other I don't), all the rest are a real mix.

If they've grown together then they accept each other more. But I've also successfully introduced adult birds into the flock without trouble (I perch them with the others at night).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  10. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I have SLW, GLW, Barred rock: In the very beginning the GLW who were brooded separately did not hang with the SLW and the Barred rock. Once they established pecking order which also changes, The GLW was Pollo UNO and now it is the Barred Rock who is Seniorita Numero UNO but they all get along - they do not get along with my third group the Bantams. The Bantams have two roosters and when they are too near the little roos take on the big roo but most of the time they are ranging in different parts of the yard. My GLW hatched three eggs in may and they are sort of joining the Standard group. If they are chased they move out of the run - sometimes the bantams chase them off but normally because the three amigos have moved into the bantam coop. and I have 20 new 3 week old pullets in the new coop in the run whom the standards are very interested in seeing and vice versa.

They are always establishing pecking order - it is a chicken thing. And seemingly it is an office thing too - HMMMM Funny

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by