Different breeds in the same coop

sam1980

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this.

I'm hoping to have a mix of chicken breeds. Are there any breeds that should never live together?

Would like something thats a bit different looking as well a a good layer

Hello,most breeds will be fine just never keep bantams with large fowl. Give the birds alot of room so the larger ones would pick on the smaller one so much.

Thanks. I love the idea of blue eggs so was thinking of legbar. But I assume they can't mix with bantams

Last edited:
I don't understand the comment about not keeping bantams with large fowl. My banties and standards all cohabitate very well. I have everything from an old english game bantam hen to a jersey giant pullet. I have bantam cochins, Polish crested, black sexlink, easter eggers, barred rocks, and much more, and they all get along very well.

As long as they have plenty of space and aren't allowed to get bored, you shouldn't have any problems with a mixed flock. Issues tend to arise when they are over crowded or need stimulation.

Yea ameraucanas are great layers and colorful. I have 2 coops and about 35 chickens;) they all get along (usually, but they do have a pecking order). I have lots if different breeds. They are all pets/layers. My bantam used to live in the coop and she got along great with them but I took her out b/c she wanted to hatch out chicks so now she lives with her adopted son:) as far as I know, they all get along unless its just a mean chicken!

We've got a mixed LF flock, because we simply couldn't decide on a breed or two. Gotta try them all to know for sure, right?
wink.png

What we've learned from doing this is that it works and works pretty well, actually, even introducing new breeds of birds in down the road. The only issues you might encounter, which we did for awhile, is when you have breeds that tend to produce aggressive individuals more often mixed with breeds that tend to consist of milder-tempered birds. You could end up with bullying issues, which we did have for awhile and didn't even start until the flock was over a year old. It was between two hens, and the only thing that really put a lid on it was when we added a roo to the flock.

So I'd recommend that you start reading about breeds and making a list of which interest you and what their general characters are and try to keep similar dispositioned breeds. Of course, even breeds with more aggressive profiles can turn out a seriously mellow individual, and visa a versa. There's no anticipating the outliers. XD

I have had bantams and standard birds together without any problems. Sometimes certain birds that are shy or very submissive do not do well in mixed flocks. And I understand that Favarolles are so gentle and easy going that they are often bullied in mixed flocks.

Back
Top Bottom