Different Breeds of Ducks and Geese Together

newtoducks

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
I am moving to a home with a pond and have heard that ducks and geese are good at keeping the snakes at bay. I would like to get about 6 (3 ducks and 3 geese) of different breeds and I need to know if i should get just female sexes? Would it be ok to keep them all together? The breeds are Ducks: Jumbo Pekin, Cayuga, and Rouen, and Geese: Toulouse, American Buff, and Embden. What do ya'll think of that?

I only have geese, so can't offer any suggestions, but have you seen this thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/748185/geese-with-ducks

(Also, wanted to add, the goose breeds you're getting are generally not aggressive -but of course things can vary by individuals )

AND 1 more thing, by "keeping them together" do you mean letting out to graze together or housing them together?

Last edited:
Either grazing or housing. I want them to stay in my pond but dont know how males would do together.

I had some ducklings about 3 weeks before I got goslings, I thought that the goslings would be mean to them (a lady at the store told me that the goslings killed the ducklings before they even got home) but when I put them together, they instantly got attached and were best friends.. So maybe if the ducks were older (if your getting babies instead of adults). As far as gender I had 1 gander and 1 goose and 2 drakes and they got along fine

I have several ducks mixed in with my geese and all get along great. Swim together, sleep together, never an issue. The only time there may be a scuffle is at the food dish. Geese can be greedy and not allow some ducks to feed until they are done. Harmless but cute to watch sometimes as the ducks try some deeks and zigzags and score a mouthful when they can.
All I can say about the mixed flocks is I am glad for boots...LOL

Back
Top Bottom