Different colored chick

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by digginchicks, Mar 12, 2009.

1. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    I just hatched some eggs lst week and they are all doing really good, but I have one little chick that is all black when the rests are about half black and half white. What gives?

They are pure bred black austrolorps, and I know I didn't have any baby chicks that looked like this when I first ordered them and I had 3 roos so I know that can't be it.

[​IMG] Just a little curious

2. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Any suggestions?

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    You can get pure black in down color of black birds. A friend of mine hatched out Black Ameraucana eggs and he said all the chicks he ever hatched were pure black. Now I raise Black Ameraucanas as well and I gave him some of my eggs to hatch. He was concerned when the chicks hatched with white on them as well. I said do not worry, they do not keep it. I would say maybe do not worry about it. Down color sometimes is not reflective of what they will be when they grow up.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Black chicks often (perhaps even usually?) have some white/yellow, or at least lighter colour on their bellies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by