Different dates in bater

raeleigh26

Songster
Dec 22, 2015
Things have been chaotic here, & ds has been slacking on collecting eggs. I mentioned that I'd only seen 3 of our 5 hens the last few days, and he's bringing in fewer eggs than usual. (Ambitious hens, we get between 4 & 9 eggs daily) he swore he checked everywhere.

They lay in the barn, in the creep feeder, in one of 3 nest boxes in the coop.

Well, I was home and out doing chores myself tonight and guess what?
Broody hen sitting 17 eggs. SEVENTEEN!
So, I don't let hens sit for many reasons, & I didn't intend to hatch this year, lost big on sales last year.
But I candled them and they're all viable and by air cell size they're almost all between 5/7 days, they all seem to be the same size ish, but hard to tell. 4 are very tiny so likely today or yesterday, but I left them in anyway.
Sigh.
I have 2 incubators, one to incubate, one to hatch.
My question is, the ones that seem close together in development, will they hatch at the same time?
Is there a way to tell when they should go into lockdown?
When I do have a planned hatch, I collect 8 eggs in the same 24 hours, and set 8 each week. I dry incubate, zero contact no matter what after lockdown, and haven't lost one since I started using this process. I'm not novice, but not a pro.
I don't want to have to remove chicks without knowing if others have pipped yet, I'm hoping I can tell gestation better as they grow?

FuzzyCritters

Crowing
Mar 13, 2020
Kitsap county, WA
The ones that seem close in development should hatch around the same time. They may be a few hours to two days apart. When the chicks are ready to go into lockdown, when you candle the eggs you should see a large air cell and the rest of the egg should be dark.

MGG

🙄🤚
Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
Things have been chaotic here, & ds has been slacking on collecting eggs. I mentioned that I'd only seen 3 of our 5 hens the last few days, and he's bringing in fewer eggs than usual. (Ambitious hens, we get between 4 & 9 eggs daily) he swore he checked everywhere.

They lay in the barn, in the creep feeder, in one of 3 nest boxes in the coop.

Well, I was home and out doing chores myself tonight and guess what?
Broody hen sitting 17 eggs. SEVENTEEN!
So, I don't let hens sit for many reasons, & I didn't intend to hatch this year, lost big on sales last year.
But I candled them and they're all viable and by air cell size they're almost all between 5/7 days, they all seem to be the same size ish, but hard to tell. 4 are very tiny so likely today or yesterday, but I left them in anyway.
Sigh.
I have 2 incubators, one to incubate, one to hatch.
My question is, the ones that seem close together in development, will they hatch at the same time?
Is there a way to tell when they should go into lockdown?
When I do have a planned hatch, I collect 8 eggs in the same 24 hours, and set 8 each week. I dry incubate, zero contact no matter what after lockdown, and haven't lost one since I started using this process. I'm not novice, but not a pro.
I don't want to have to remove chicks without knowing if others have pipped yet, I'm hoping I can tell gestation better as they grow?
Make sure you mark the eggs she's sitting on so you can remove any newly added eggs. I would also artificially incubate all of the young eggs.

Top Bottom