Different lockdown dates for duck eggs

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
I find this forum so helpful! So... I have another dilemma.
I got a few duck eggs a while back and only one was developing, so 4 days later, I got a few more eggs and got two more fertilised.
So my first egg is 4 days ahead. When it comes to lockdown, I'm worried.... If they were just a day or two behind the first, I wouldn't worry about a slightly early lockdown, but being 4 whole days behind, wouldn't the sudden jump up in humidity be dangerous?
I also need to continue turning the second two eggs.
I do have another incubator, but its a small cheap one I bought a while back and the temperature does not regulate well. I'm worried it will go up too high and harm the hatching chick.
Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Is there anything I can do to keep them all in the better incubator? Should I try and use the bad incubator?

What is your climate like? In TN the humidity is quite high so I don't worry overmuch about a lockdown. I manually turn the eggs right up to hatching and always have staggered hatches; hatch rates are often 90% or better; usually better.

If you do need to have a lockdown (dry climate), I'd do a one day late for the first egg. A lockdown a day early will not cause a problem with the others.

What is your climate like? In TN the humidity is quite high so I don't worry overmuch about a lockdown. I manually turn the eggs right up to hatching and always have staggered hatches; hatch rates are often 90% or better; usually better.

If you do need to have a lockdown (dry climate), I'd do a one day late for the first egg. A lockdown a day early will not cause a problem with the others.
Without adding water, the humidity drops to between 30% and 40%, Which would be too low for them at lockdown. It's not a bad idea putting the 1st egg into lockdown a day late, but then again, the others would still be 3 days early, I'd be worried about that... Of course I could continue turning the other eggs and stop turning the 1st, but I'd still have a problem with the humidity, and I dont want to open the incubator once the 1st starts pipping, so it's going to be a tricky problem to solve

I wouldn't raise humidity until 1st egg pips and turn other eggs for last time at that time.
until the first externally pips? I guess I could do that, It could still risk shrink wrappping while I turn the others one last time though, and it'd still be a couple days early to stop turning. But if that seems the best option I'll plan to try that then

Your talking ducks. The natural humidity for them is very high. Put lockdown as normal and let it ride. Or delay lockdown a day. Either way I think you will be just fine.
Thanks for the reassurance! I'll try that and hope for the best! I have a little while before lockdown, but its good to be prepared, so hopefully things will work out :fl:D

Back
Top Bottom