different peeps

Firefighter Chick

Songster
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Southeast Minnesota
I have 50 buff orpingtons which are just over a week old. I have observed them and socialized (ie. played and cuddled) with them. They are already starting to come around and sit on me and be petted. I am noticing that some of their peeping is different pitched than the others. I'm not talking the alarm peep, just the normal peeping that they do, some are a little higher pitched than others. Is this a sign of gender difference or is this just individual differences?

I really can not answer your specific question regarding different peeps for different genders. However, my wife swears that our chicks have an actual language of peeps that she understands and peeps back to them. For each different situation they have a different kind of peeping and she is actually able to differentiate between the chicks just by their peeps.

I cannot tell the difference between peeps among the chicks.
gig.gif

However, chicks' "voices" change as they grow from a peep to a "buck-buck-buck" sound. We have month-old-chicks and week-old-chicks now, and their peeps are different, but not by much.

Back
Top Bottom