Different types of diatomaceous earth?

KiwiSue49

Chirping
Oct 28, 2018
I myself have on and off - more off than on - had food grade fossil shell flour myself in water.

I added some to their dry feed (food grade).
Assuming this means there is non-food grade?

Just had a new 1Kg bag of food grade delivered today. I sprinkled some in their nesting boxes, a little bit in their run (not a very big run), and in one of their places on the property they nestle down in.

Should I be using food grade for everything?
Have not looked into non-food grade. Assuming it is cheaper?

Cheers,
Thanks for your help in advance.
Sue

My understanding of food grade vs. non-food grade DE is that food grade is less angular, doesn't have as sharp of a cutting edge to the points, thus less likely to do damage to the GI tract. It also has been decontaminated for various parasites, bacteria, and other organic contaminates.

Both are dusty and shouldn't be inhaled. Can cause/aggravate respiratory illnesses. Highly irritating to lung tissues and eyes.
If I were to use it I would use only food grade. If you want it for a swimming pool filter or aquarium filter, than non-food grade is fine.

I use only food grade DE puffed in coop/ run everywhere every 1-2 weeks when do big clean before new bedding is put down and so far no pests. I use poultry protector first then the DE. Food grade is safe in case of ingestion when they peck the floors. My girls are out playing in the yard when I clean and therefore not back till done to avoid any irritation to the respiratory system. They do fine. If you don’t let the birds out just work on opposite sides. Do coop when they are in run. Do run when they are in coop.

I found red mites (lots of the little suckers) living quite happily in the deep bed of DE I had in the bottom of my nest boxes under the bedding. So it's useless against mites. They'll move away from it if it's air borne but it certainly doesn't kill them.

Flowers of sulfur from a farm/feed store sprinkled about the coop is a better deterrent for those little pests, but if you have rodents or wild birds entering the run or coop it won't be enough to prevent an outbreak of external parasites they may be carrying. My problem has been mite carrying rats chewing through wood from underneath to break in. :barnie

Regarding DE - users are split rather evenly between those that think it's some kind of miracle, and those who feel it is entirely worthless. I fall into the last group.
So do I.

Flowers of sulfur
What an odd term...'flowers'....should it be 'flours'...meaning fine powder?

My understanding of food grade vs. non-food grade DE is that food grade is less angular, doesn't have as sharp of a cutting edge to the points, thus less likely to do damage to the GI tract. It also has been decontaminated for various parasites, bacteria, and other organic contaminates.

Both are dusty and shouldn't be inhaled. Can cause/aggravate respiratory illnesses. Highly irritating to lung tissues and eyes.
If I were to use it I would use only food grade. If you want it for a swimming pool filter or aquarium filter, than non-food grade is fine.
Thank you Sean for answering.
Will stick to food grade for everything.
Cheers,
Sue

Back
Top Bottom